Dry vs Liquid yeast !!Cost!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftrombley

Reaction score
Okay, I do have another question. I've been using liquid yeast from white labs and it seems to work well. Problem is I brew only 2.5 gal. each time, and the yeast bottle is for 5 gal. I use the whole bottle and it seems to work well. The problem is, it costs $7 a bottle. The recipe I'm working on now says to use Nottingham yeast which is a dry yeast and only cost $2. Has anyone ever used it and is it as good as the liquid yeast? Also, can this yeast be used for lager fermentation? The price is right and I'd like to use it as much as possible.

Fred

the answer to this question is a long one. Do a search on yeast washing and dry vs liquid yeast because there have been debates on it

Nottingham is my go to yeast and I use it in probably 75%+ of my beers. It is just as good as liquid yeast as are most of the dry yeasts. There is not quite as many dry yeast varieties as there are liquid so sometimes liquid is required for a particular beer.

For lagering you want to get a lager yeast. There are a couple dry yeasts for lagers.

Back