Dry mouth aftertaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deandx

Reaction score
What causes a dry mouth aftertaste in a beer? I made a pale ale and it was meant to be a bit hoppy. And it tastes fine but it leaves you with a dry mouth and I'm not sure why.

Does the dry mouth come with a case of the munchies by any chance?

Even the dryest of beers can quench that thirst.

I'm drinking on my blonde ATM and am getting the same thing, i belive it is specialty grains.
I used 2row,.5lb oats and hops.

"Sounds like it over-attenuated. What was the FG? Also, post the recipe."
Possibly but i think its more in the recipe.

Does the dry mouth come with a case of the munchies by any chance?

Even the dryest of beers can quench that thirst.

I'm drinking on my blonde ATM and am getting the same thing i belive it is not enough specialty grains.
I used 2row,.5lb oats and hops.

"Sounds like it over-attenuated. What was the FG? Also, post the recipe."
Possibly but i think its more in the recipe.

That "dry mouth" taste is usually referred to as astringency. It generally comes from the grains - specialty or base - steeping or mashing too long, sparging too much, or letting the heat get too high. It's more common if your water/wort is above the ideal ph range.

It was a partial mash;

My og was pretty far below what I expected. It was supposed to be about 1.056 but I measured it at 1.033. My fg was pretty low, about 1.007 but not too far off. Recipe was for 6 gal, but I think I had more which messed up the og.

6.6lb breis gold extract
3.0 lb Belgian pale
.5 lb light crystal
.5 lb Belgian biscuit
2 oz cascade 60 min
.66 oz fuggle 30 min
.33 oz fuggle 1 min
White labs American ale yeast

To my limited knowledge this sounds like a very dry, mild ale. I have made a couple of dry milds and they are like that, except moderately less hopped and not using Belgian caramello grains. Depending on how balanced yours is with the hops, it may be a great session beer once carbonated. The taste if grains may come through very clean.

23 points is a lot to be off with an extract recipe, even with extra water. My guess would be a measurement error due to incomplete mixing of top-off water, which is pretty common. 1.007 is going to be somewhat dry. It certainly will be noticably dryer than, say, 1.010 or 1.012, which is probably where the recipe was expected to finish. I'd say that's the source of "dry mouth" that you're experiencing.

Ok, so how does it over-attenuate? Also, will it mellow over time and become less dry tasting?

Sometimes I get a drying mouth when drinking some hoppy beers. I'm thinking maybe the hops, you do have 2 oz in for bittering.

There is no such thing as over-attenuation. Yeast convert fermentable sugars. They can under-attenuate - ie something goes wrong and the yeast stop before they get to the end of the sugar. Once they get to the end of the sugar though, the beer is fully attenuated and isn't going to "over-attenuate". You can mess up your mash and have wort that is going to have a higher attenuation than a recipe called for, but it will still just be the full attenuation of your particular wort. Honestly though, the chances of you doing that in a partial mash are pretty minimal since the majority of your fermentables are from extract and are going to be dead on.

How did you conduct your partial mash - volumes, temp, time etc. ?

Dry doesn't mean bad, it just means the other flavors are not hanging back behind the taste of sweetness. Does your beer taste dry and hoppy (bitter and/or aromatic)? Too hoppy? What flavor is coming forward the most besides the lack of sweetness?

No, it won't become less dry over time. It is what it is.

A number of things can affect attenuation. How was your ferm temp control? If it was on the high side, that could do it. The grain/extract bill suggests this will be a bit of a dry brew (due to low % of adjuncts), so that coupled with an environment that allows the yeast to really chew through all the fermentable sugars will do it.

Here's a good link that talks about attenuation.

There is no such thing as over-attenuation.

Sure there is. It's all relative to the recipe. When talking all-grain, mash too low with respect to the recipe and you'll get over-attenuation. Mash too high, and the opposite will be true.

Yes, the yeast will consume all the fermentable sugars, but as brewers it's our job to control the amount of fermentables/unfermentables, as well as control ferm temps so the results are as desired.

Sure there is. It's all relative to the recipe. When talking all-grain, mash too low with respect to the recipe and you'll get over-attenuation. Mash too high, and the opposite will be true.

Yes, the yeast will consume all the fermentable sugars, but as brewers it's our job to control the amount of fermentables/unfermentables, as well as control ferm temps so the results are as desired.

This is semantics. Over-attenuation makes it sounds like something is wrong with the yeast, instead of focusing on the ingredients ratio with water; ie the gravity. Maybe that's just how people are used to saying it but at least to these young brewing ears over-attenuation does sound wrong.

iambeer said:
Dry doesn't mean bad, it just means the other flavors are not hanging back behind the taste of sweetness. Does your beer taste dry and hoppy (bitter and/or aromatic)? Too hoppy? What flavor is coming forward the most besides the lack of sweetness?

It tastes dry and hoppy. Overall it has a nice clean taste but the hop is strong and my mouth is left feeling very dry after drinking it.

I fermented it at a nice 68 degrees so that's not a problem. Boil was 60 min. Steeped grains at 160 for 60 min before boil. The only thing screwy was the OG.

"Steeped grains at 160 for 60 min before boil."

There ya go. Drop that a few degrees and you'll avoid the astringent aftertaste.

Dry mouth here, worse in Texas drought summers + blood pressure pills = dehydration.
Ale drinker
Have eliminated ABV (alcohol %)
Now working on IBU, since I hover in the 60s and buddy in the 30s

Worse case scenarios are when followed by a bourbon/coke/lime,
where obviously the lime is the only innocent of these suspects.

Keep me posted PLEASE

Dry mouth here, worse in Texas drought summers + blood pressure pills = dehydration.
Ale drinker
Have eliminated ABV (alcohol %)
Now working on IBU, since I hover in the 60s and buddy in the 30s

Worse case scenarios are when followed by a bourbon/coke/lime,
where obviously the lime is the only innocent of these suspects.

Keep me posted PLEASE
This is a 10 year old necro-thread and all of the posters haven’t been active for 2-10 years.

Back