Dry lager yeast at a reasonable price?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffcow

Reaction score
So dry lager yeast (34/70 in particular) is incredibly expensive.. Most places have it for $6-7 per packet, and the lowest I've found is $4.50. Given that ale yeasts are usually no more than $3, and that you need 2 packets of a lager yeast to make a normal strength lager, this seems like gouging. Anyone know where to buy them for a reasonable price?

Its not price gouging at all ale yeast is just much faster growing and easier to harvest. You could try getting a vial of liquid yeast and making a starter. . Just boil some water and dme in a 10 to 1 parts ratio for about 20 minutes cool and pitch into a sanitized mason jar put some sanitized foil over it. Shake it up a couple times each day. Wait 3 or 4 days and you should have enough yeast.

Never done a lager, but is one pack of dry yeast (SafLager) not enough for a 5G batch?

Well, I'll find out soon, as that's how much I pitched last night. But Mr. Malty says 2 packs (well, 1.5) are necessary for my measly 1.044 lager, and most of the lager pitching rate posts on HBT seem to agree.

There are other less-expensive dry lager yeasts (i.e., S-23).

You can greatly reduce your overall yeast costs by re-using the yeast. Storing it is possible. You can also rack your next beer onto the yeast cake if you want to make back-to-back lagers.

I used to get W-34/70 for $3.50 a packet at my LHBS. Now the price has gone up to $7.00. I can't say I know why the price has doubled, but I don't think it's gouging on the part of the LHBS. Evidently, Fermentis has raised their prices causing suppliers and LHBSs to raise their prices. What's odd is that when Fermentis first started selling it, it was competitively priced with their other dry yeasts... now it is doubled.

W-34/70 was my go-to dry lager yeast, since it's the same as WLP-830. I make 10 gallon batches, so with a minimum of 2 packs per 5 gallons, that would be $28.00 in dry yeast per batch. As much as I hate making lager starters, I think I'll go back to liquid yeast and starters.

1 pack will be fine, I just did a smaller batch with a higher gravity (same total points actually) and it was fermenting the next day

Back