Dry Irish Stout water question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeVet67

Reaction score
(apologize for dupe post from water primer post).

ok yall... im new to water additions.. and would like some advise.. i made a Scottish ale (80 Shilling) ... (also did the drain and carmelize/reduce first gal trick) with some water additions (first ever attempt) and 100% RO/Distilled water.. its a great beer and my friends really enjoyed, but i may have gottin it slightly off. The beer was Very malty which isnt bad.. but i found it to be really sweet for my tastes.. so i need to make some changes to that recipe.. but i digress..

a friend of mine wants to brew a DRY IRISH STOUT and i wanna make sure the additions i have planned will work out. Here is my plan/recipe:

est OG: 1.050, est FG: 1.015 (4.59% ABV)
IBU: 47.8 SRM: 38.1

6 lb Pale 2 row UK
2.25 lb Flaked Barley
11.5 oz Flaked Oats
1.25 Roasted Barley

2.75 oz EKG for 60 mins

1 vial WLP 004

water additions (mash only):
7 grams Cal Clor
7 grams Gypsum
1.25 grams baking soda

mash @ 154.5 for 70 min Est mash PH: 5.3
Batch sparge 100% RO/Distilled total PB Vol: 6.5G

so.. will this work.. ? should i change things.. ? will it gimme a very flavorful guinness type stout.. ?

Dry stout is best made with RO water. Plan on only adding enough of the roast barley to bring the mash to around 5.4 and add the remainder of the roast at the very end of the mash to add its full color and flavor without pushing the main mashing period pH too low. The final wort runoff is likely to have a pretty low pH of around 5, but that is part of the dry stout flavor profile.

Your proposed approach with the baking soda is fine for other stout and porter styles, but isn't ideal for dry stout.

Martin, I have read a few other forums and seen you subscribe to many.. LOL.. but here is my new plan please advise accordingly..
New plan. eliminate baking soda and proceed:
est OG: 1.051, est FG: 1.013 (5.03% ABV)
IBU: 37.8 SRM: 3.8

Main Mash:
6.5 lb Pale 2 row UK
2.5 lb Flaked Barley
16 oz Flaked Oats
3 oz Acid malt

water additions (mash only):
3.25 grams Cal Clor
3.00 grams Gypsum

mash @ 154.5 for 60 min Est mash PH: 5.4
Grist DI water pH: 5.73 (brewers friend calc)

Steep in separate pot of RO water. Add to main boil with
first runnings. Sparge to collect 7 gal.

2.25 Roasted Barley (300 SRM)

Main boil:
est OG: 1.051, est FG: 1.013 (~5.03% ABV)
IBU: 35.8 SRM: 40.1

Hop addition:
2.75 oz EKG for 60 mins

Yeast
1 vial WLP 004

Now, question(s) is do i steep in pot at 150 deg.. ? Do i steep in first runnings..(~154 ish) ? Do i cold steep in 1/2 gal or full gallon.. ? how long to steep.. ? Do i use whole kernel or crush these grains as well, (just don't add them to main grist..) ?

thoughts please..

Back