Dry Irish Stout Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello folks. I'm making a dry Irish stout for the first time and am worried about things I've read about mash ph. I don't usually watch my mash ph and use my tap water with campden and beers seem fine. How many add something to the mash when making a dry Irish stout? If so, what? Is it something I need to worry about?

A dry stout is usually dry, crisp and slightly tart. Depending on the recipe, the amount of roasted malts used in such a recipe, might not be enough to drop the pH to add a little tartness to the beer. This is where water treatment come in the picture. The pH for a dry stout can be pushed lower than a regular one.

Is there a section on water and PH levels? New to this also and can’t seem to find it. Is there a PH level you are shooting for in an Irish stout?

I just use tap water with no adjustments and do fine. Give it ago and see what you get. Adjust next time if you have an issue.

Back