Dry hops??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corjyn

Reaction score
Hey,

When the recipe calls for dry hopping, do you add in a "tea bag" or directly into fermentation? I was concerned about sediment in the bottles. Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

John

Belgium triple in secondary; Local recipe IPA on deck.

I believe you were asking if you could use a bag or dump the hops right into the fermenter during secondary. The answer is either of those is fine. Adding hops inside a nylon bag will help keep the sediments all together which will help you later down the road. But you'll be racking to a bottling bucket probably, so that sediment will fall out and won't come to the bottling bucket anyways.

I dry hopped my ipa which is in secondary and ready to bottle, but a lot of the hops are still floating, and others have settled out. when i tap on the carboy, some of the floaters start to sink. I'm afraid I'm gonna get a bunch of these guys when i rack into the bottling bucket. any tips?

should i filter first? if so, how???

thanks, shane

I dry hopped my ipa which is in secondary and ready to bottle, but a lot of the hops are still floating, and others have settled out. when i tap on the carboy, some of the floaters start to sink. I'm afraid I'm gonna get a bunch of these guys when i rack into the bottling bucket. any tips?

thanks, shane

I'd try cold crashing it for a few days first. That usually gets everything out of the beer.

^+1 to the cold crash.
Did you use pellets ot whole cones?
You could also sanitize a hops sack (muslin or nylon bag) and attach it over the tip of your racking cane with some butchers string or a nylon zip tie to help "fliter" some of the particles out.

^^ That is a good question.If using pellets your ok without a bag.Whole hops or plugs are a siphon clogging pain in the ass.

I'm bottling, so i'm thinking that cold crashing might be a bad idea.

I like the hop sack idea. I'm going to give it a try. I dry hopped with pellets. I think i can live with whatever gets through. next time i dry hop I think that i'm gonna put the pellets or whole cones in a sack first and rack over them like someone suggested in a different thread.

thanks for the tips. i'll let you know how it goes...

^+1 to the cold crash.
Did you use pellets ot whole cones?
You could also sanitize a hops sack (muslin or nylon bag) and attach it over the tip of your racking cane with some butchers string or a nylon zip tie to help "fliter" some of the particles out.

thanks, shane

Next time you dry hop you can take a nylon sack and put your hops in and then add some sanatized ball bearings to the sack for weight and tie it off, when you drop the scak in your fermenter they will go straight to the bottom while keeping your hops in the bag for easy transfer.

I apologize for hijacking this thread, but it had just the info i needed.

I cut a piece of grain sock and zip tied it to the end of the racking cane. I'm using a siphon starter style with the black tip, and it worked well. Very little hops/sediment came through.

I'm still a noob, and should have tasted before adding water to the bottling bucket to make up 5 gallons. I added about 20 oz of water, and I think it's a little diluted now. I tasted after adding water and wished I would have left it alone. the flavor was great, but i would like it a little more concentrated. oh well. that's how i learn. should still be a good drinkable ipa.

Thanks for all the help!!!
Shane

Next time you dry hop you can take a nylon sack and put your hops in and then add some sanatized ball bearings to the sack for weight and tie it off, when you drop the scak in your fermenter they will go straight to the bottom while keeping your hops in the bag for easy transfer.

I apologize for hijacking this thread, but it had just the info i needed.

I cut a piece of grain sock and zip tied it to the end of the racking cane. I'm using a siphon starter style with the black tip, and it worked well. Very little hops/sediment came through.

I'm still a noob, and should have tasted before adding water to the bottling bucket to make up 5 gallons. I added about 20 oz of water, and I think it's a little diluted now. I tasted after adding water and wished I would have left it alone. the flavor was great, but i would like it a little more concentrated. oh well. that's how i learn. should still be a good drinkable ipa.

Thanks for all the help!!!
Shane

Whoa! you added water to your bottling bucket after fermentation was complete?
If you're going to add top up water, do it before you pitch the yeast. Once it's done if you're short of the batch size mark, just enjoy the slightly stronger beer...

Quote from Erwin F. Fletcher AKA FLetch

"Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course; It's all ball bearing these days"

Back