Dry hoppong during a cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanPC

Reaction score
Is this something that's ok to do? I've not dry hopped or cold crashed a home brew before.

It would be best to dry hop at room temp for a few days and THEN cold crash. You won't extract as much from the hops at cold temps

How long on the dry hop...5-7 days? And then 2-3 for the cold crash?

How long on the dry hop...5-7 days? And then 2-3 for the cold crash?

There is a lot of varying opinions on this, some people think after 3 days you start to get the vegetable character from the hops, some people dry hop for 2 weeks. 5 days should be good

Alright...so I'm planning on this: 7-10 days primary-7 days secondary-dry hop for 5 after the first 7 then cold crash for 2-3 days-take out let sit to room temp(68-70)-bottle.

My experience is < 5 days is not enough may have been due to using a hop bag that floated also. Im doing a week and half to two weeks currently with loose pellots and floating hop bag.I need to get marbles or a tea ball.But its still pending for me.to see the differnce.Ive cold crashed only 12 hrs to a day and that worked enough to settle the hop pellot flakes.I think its unnessassary to cold crash that long, i just want enought to settle the floating hop pellot flakes.

Should be about 37/38-40/41 deg right. I was going to use marbles in a muslin bag.

Back