Dry hopping???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
I just racked an orange pale ale to the secondary earlier today. It calls for dry hopping 2 oz of cascades. I used the leaf variety so there are a lot of them. I also placed them in a nylon bag to assist with a cleaner bottling day. Now, I notice a large portion of the hops are floating above the beer line and not submerged. Should I occasionally try to push those hops down in the brew or should I just let it be? Thanks.

Some people use a few marbles or "steelies" in the bag to weigh the hops down, if their above the beer their not doing you any good. You could sanatize a few marbles and drop them the bag.

too late to do anything now. Trying to get them to sink will probably just end in frustration. I use 1/2" SS ball bearings and a hop sack to weigh down dry hops but, even only half submerged they will still work well enough. So yeah as Sir Paul would say, "Let it be"

Any dry hopping is better than no dry hopping! you'll love it~ add the marbles next time works great!

Back