Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerme

Reaction score
I am interested in knowing what dry hopping sched. folks are using out there. I remember reading a thread about dryhopping a certain amount per week or two. I normally chuck a whole bunch in at the beginning of my secondary and wait a certain amount of time depending on the brew. Any suggestions

Thanks in advance

I dry hop in primary, that way when you transfer to secondary you can eliminate alot of the sediment (hop crap) and are left with a clean brew.
If i need to do it in the secondary (IPA) then i use a hop bag.

Rev: do the addition of hops have any effect on the fermentation? Or do you wait until fermentation is done? I've always dryhopped in secondary, and just racked to tertiary when I was done. Even if I didn't (like with my oatmeal stout), I still rack to the bottling bucket...so hop crap has never been a problem for me.

That is up for debate. when i had a similar question when making my first IPA some said not to put Hops in primary and some said it did not matter. when i saw the beer rolling and churning in the primary i thought to myself "self, that looks like it would really mix the hops up in there and help spread the goodness throughout the beer" So I did and found no bad reaction to taste of smell because of it.

Will it harm fermentation? I do not think so.

The other reason i add them in both is so when i rack to secondary and leave the first round of dry hop behind i can add a new round of it for more of that great hop smell.

I don't like dry hopping personally. I use whole hops and I find it gives a grassy taste to the beer. If i'm looking for hop aroma I add 2 or 3 oz's of hops at the end of the boil.

If I do dry hop, I'll give them two weeks in the secondary.

I have been struggling with the dry hopping in the secondary. I use pellets, and of course, they do their dry hopping thing for three weeks in the secondary. Subsequently, I always feel like my beer isn't as clear and I always end up with pieces of the hop in my beer. Granted, dry hopping is great and I love doing it to my IPAs.

Does throwing the hops in the secondary with a hop bag restrict the flavoring?

Does throwing the hops in the secondary with a hop bag restrict the flavoring?

In my experience, yes, I dont get as much aroma when using a bag. If you're using pellet hops, some of the hop particulate still seems to seep through the bag.

Back