Dry hopping with Summit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertbronze

Reaction score
I just dry hopped two kegs with one ounce of Summit pellet hops in each. Have you dry hopped with Summit? Any grassy flavors? How long did you leave the hop bag in the beer? Thanks.

love summit, it is what my tangerine dream is based on. It is a very strong hop even when dryhopping. Due to its strength I usually go about 3-5 days. Can be grassy if overhopped or to much time, but summit fades quickly as a dryhop. I have had my best luck keeping the tangerine flavor by dryhopping 1-2 week before intended serving date. After 2 weeks the flavor tends to fade quickly and you just end up with an ordinary IPA. I have never experienced onion/garlic flavors, but I'm no BJCP.

It is a very strong hop even when dryhopping. Due to its strength I usually go about 3-5 days. Can be grassy if overhopped or to much time, but summit fades quickly as a dryhop. I have had my best luck keeping the tangerine flavor by dryhopping 1-2 week before intended serving date. After 2 weeks the flavor tends to fade quickly and you just end up with an ordinary IPA. I have never experienced onion/garlic flavors, but I'm no BJCP.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I will dryhop for a week - then pull them out - then carb and serve. :mug:

The onion/garlic flavor is just how a lot of people describe the extremely pungent/earthy character of Summit when it's a little over the top.

I dry-hopped with 1 oz for a week and it was overwhelmingly pungent, and not in a tangerine-y way. I notice the awesome tangerine flavor more when Summit is used very moderately. But, I'm not going to pretend I have a refined palate....

Back