Dry hopping with pellet hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
Can it yield successful results, or must dry hopping be done with leaf hops?

Pellets for sure. And you can stick them in a small mesh bag or hop sack, a tied-off piece of nylon pantyhose (sanitized and with your SWMBO's blessing, of course) or just go commando.

Just dry hopped tonight with pellets (in sanitized paint strainer bags) in my two brew bucket minis, same beer, different yeast.

Pellets for sure. And you can stick them in a small mesh bag or hop sack, a tied-off piece of nylon pantyhose (sanitized and with your SWMBO's blessing, of course) or just go commando.

I prefer commando...it all drops out at cold crash. :mug:

By going "commando" do you mean just tossing the pellets into the batch straight up, without a hop sack?

By going "commando" do you mean just tossing the pellets into the batch straight up, without a hop sack?

Yes. As PlexVector said, it all drops out of suspension during cold-crash. When it comes to packaging, carefully racking just above the trub will prevent any of it ending up in your beer.

Try putting some weights in with the pellet hops to keep them submerged in the beer. Use a length of unflavored dental floss tied to the hop sack at one end and crimped between the lid on the other, so you can easily pull the hop sack out. This will work with both corny kegs and fermentors.

I'm using a 6.5 gallon glass carboy fermenter. Only about 1.125" to 1.25" diameter at the neck.

Pellets are better for dry hopping Imo for 2 reasons

1) pellets have better flavor/aroma stability during storage

2) pellets introduce a lot less oxygen than cones and so result in greater aroma stability in the final beer.

I hop in the leg and serve off the hops. No grassy flavours, just hop flavours. You need to use a keg hopper or equivalent

Pellets are better for dry hopping Imo for 2 reasons

1) pellets have better flavor/aroma stability during storage

2) pellets introduce a lot less oxygen than cones and so result in greater aroma stability in the final beer.

I hop in the leg and serve off the hops. No grassy flavours, just hop flavours. You need to use a keg hopper or equivalent

I just got a keg hopping canister...any special procedure? Just add them to the keg and fill the keg as normal?

How about the amount of hops? Do you guys usually use a secondary or do you just go from primary to keg with the dry hop in the keg?

I was going to ask something similar. Do you dry hop in the primary, or wait until it is in the secondary?

I like the idea of not messin around with the seconary. Whats a good baseline for a nice fresh hop flavor for using, lets say, cascade or citra?

Latest posts

Back