Dry Hopping with only primary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knickspree

Reaction score
I've brewed very simple stuff for a few years, and got a recipe that says I need to throw dry hop pellets into the fermenter 4-7 days after fermentation begins. I only use a primary fermenter, should I just throw them directly in or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yep thats what ive done. If you only have a primary I dont think there is another option to dry hop anyway....

I dry hop, with pellets, directly into the primary. Although I wouldn't go by any timeframe. Check the gravity, dry hop after it's finished fermenting. If you're concerned with hop material when it comes time to bottle, just put a paint strainer bag over the end of your siphon.

It works better if you wait until fermentation is done & the beer is settled out clear or slightly misty. Otherwise, the hop oils coat the yeast cells & trub particles, going to the bottom with them. I use sanitized hop sacks with no more than one ounce in each to dry hop in primary with for 5-7 days. Many of us dry hop in primary nowadays. Makes for cleaner beer going into the bottling bucket or keg.

Latest posts

Back