Dry Hopping with marbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisbliss

Reaction score
I am going to put some marbles in a muslin bag and dry hop with this...
My question, I am going to just add it to the primary. Will it be ok to let the sack go all the way to the bottom in the trub? Or should I tie some fishing line to it and let it submerge about 3/4 the way down the bucket ?

thanks !

M

I would add it to the keg and let is sit there for a few days (at least). However if your going to bottle it then just put the hops in a carboy and rack onto it, and rack it again before bottling.

I am going to put some marbles in a muslin bag and dry hop with this...
My question, I am going to just add it to the primary. Will it be ok to let the sack go all the way to the bottom in the trub? Or should I tie some fishing line to it and let it submerge about 3/4 the way down the bucket ?

thanks !

M

IMO, there is no need to use a bag, you can just drop the hops in and when done dry hopping, cold crash or they will settle themselves.

If you want to use marbles then be sure to sanitize them and the bag and yes, tie them off so they hover in the beer. Be aware that you willl need quite a few to sink the hops.

Throw the hops in commando style--simple is good--plus, they can spread out in the beer more, imparting more of their hoppy goodness. Bags, marbles, fishing line sounds like too much trouble to me and more chance for off-flavors or, worse, infection.

I dry hopped with a bag once... it was a pain to get the hopp with bag in the carboy, and an even bigger pain to get it out when cleaning. No more bags for me, just toss in and cold crash and they all fall to the bottom no big deal.

I dry hopped with a bag once... it was a pain to get the hopp with bag in the carboy, and an even bigger pain to get it out when cleaning. No more bags for me, just toss in and cold crash and they all fall to the bottom no big deal.

+1 been there. But the fishing line is most def the way to go if you want to try it.

beer was racked off first, then I used to coat hanger to get the bag with the hops out of the carboy... metal never touched the beer

beer was racked off first, then I used to coat hanger to get the bag with the hops out of the carboy... metal never touched the beer

Oh gotcha, glad to hear. Lol thought maybe you used it instead of the fishing line. Whew. Its far time for the "wider mouth" carboy to be invented.

what exactly do you do with fishing line... sounds like an infection waiting to happen to me

Boil/soak in sanitizer then tie the end of the hop bag with it, drop in and use the bung to keep it at the perfect height. But that was then, now i just cold crash and rack.

I always use marbles in my hop bags...about 5-6 small marbles will keep an 1 oz to 1.5 oz under. It also helps create more space for the beer to flow through.

No sack needed. Just toss 'em in. They will fall out into the trub.

Its far time for the "wider mouth" carboy to be invented.
The Better Bottle does shine in that department, and I've literally sworn (and cursed) off using my glass carboy for dry hopping. Whole leaf hops are terrible to get into the narrow neck, and forget about throwing them in a boiled muslin sack.

Placing a sanitized nylon hop bag around the siphon has helped me with straining hops without adding muslin to the secondary.

It can be weighted with anything. I use several santized dinner spoons in the hops bag both for the boil and dry hopping. Dogs might be problematic to sanitize.

It can be weighted with anything. I use several santized dinner spoons in the hops bag both for the boil and dry hopping. Dogs might be problematic to sanitize.

Yes but on the other hand dogs provide the beer of a complexity that you can´t achieve if you were dry hopping with sometime else.

I tried using a pint glass. All the hops stayed in side the glass and didn't have the desired effect. So I went to Walmart, but found no marbles. So I spent about $2 on 4 candle holders, which I'm sure is much less than the hypothetical marbles would have cost me. I like to visualize my savings in the form of beer ingredients; it makes it much more concrete.

go to the pet store and buy aquarium rocks. They're hypoalgesic and non toxic. I think they were 3 usd for a pound. They work great and easy to clean. Not really sure about the candle holder idea.

I tried using a pint glass. All the hops stayed in side the glass and didn't have the desired effect. So I went to Walmart, but found no marbles. So I spent about $2 on 4 candle holders, which I'm sure is much less than the hypothetical marbles would have cost me. I like to visualize my savings in the form of beer ingredients; it makes it much more concrete.

FYI...walmart marbles are about 50 marbles for 50 cents

I hear ya...I actually had to call someone over...its was on a back wall near the UNO cards and things in the toy section. I walked by them like 5 times.

basilchef said:
Its far time for the "wider mouth" carboy to be invented.

They have those now. They're called "buckets." (I think it's a French term, with a long U and a silent T. Like the flower arrangement.) ;)

SilverZero said:
They have those now. They're called "buckets." (I think it's a French term, with a long U and a silent T. Like the flower arrangement.) ;)

Good one, wise ass :D

Buckets are more susceptible to oxygenation then carboys. So, a larger bung and wider mouth opening... Giving the protection of car boys with the accessibility of a bucket.

Back