Dry Hopping with Galaxy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normans54

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I am currently brewing 5 gallon batch of an IPA that is a takeoff on Bell's Two Hearted Ale's published recipe. However unlike that recipe which uses three additions of Centennial (9.0% AA) (1.2 oz at 45 mins, 1.2 oz at 30 mins, and dry hopped with 3.5 oz for seven days) I am using Galaxy (14.8% AA) (.85 oz at 45 mins, .85 oz at 15 mins, and dry hopped with 3.0 oz for seven days). I have been reading that some people dry hop with Galaxy and then they find that their beer smells like rotting garbage. Has anybody else had this experience? If so, what would you recommend I substitute instead? I would like to keep the tropical fruit characteristics that Galaxy is known for, so I would think that maybe something like Falconer's Flight, Amarillo, or Citra would work. Also, do you think that 3.0 oz of Galaxy (or an alternative) is too little/too much to dry hop with? I would like to keep grassy aromas to a minimum if possible. Thanks so much!

Hey everybody,

I am currently brewing 5 gallon batch of an IPA that is a takeoff on Bell's Two Hearted Ale's published recipe. However unlike that recipe which uses three additions of Centennial (9.0% AA) (1.2 oz at 45 mins, 1.2 oz at 30 mins, and dry hopped with 3.5 oz for seven days) I am using Galaxy (14.8% AA) (.85 oz at 45 mins, .85 oz at 15 mins, and dry hopped with 3.0 oz for seven days). I have been reading that some people dry hop with Galaxy and then they find that their beer smells like rotting garbage. Has anybody else had this experience? If so, what would you recommend I substitute instead? I would like to keep the tropical fruit characteristics that Galaxy is known for, so I would think that maybe something like Falconer's Flight, Amarillo, or Citra would work. Also, do you think that 3.0 oz of Galaxy (or an alternative) is too little/too much to dry hop with? I would like to keep grassy aromas to a minimum if possible. Thanks so much!

Galaxy seem to be an acquired taste when it comes to dry hopping. Some people think they add great flavor, some people think they taste like crap. If I were you, I would not do a 3oz dry hop on something you have no clue what to expect unless you want it to be an experimental batch. You have to start somewhere.

I did dry hop a 5 gallon DIPA with 2 oz of Galaxy and thought it was great. It was around 9% though. Again, to each his own.

If you really want the Galaxy flavor, I'd do a 15 minute addition and/or @FO

I have an XPA on tap with 1.5oz Galaxy and 0.5oz Citra dry hop, and it's very good. Reminds me of a blend of cascade, centennial, and citra - plus a shot of light dank quality.

I like a Galaxy dry hop but I would not do it for 7 days. I would do 4-5 days max, otherwise you will get a grassy flavor.

I did a smash apa with galaxy and it came out tasting very similar to grape juice. I didn't enjoy it at all. Galaxy is best used with other hops in my opinion....

Back