Dry hopping with a lot of headspace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feralpigeon

Reaction score
I've done a little searching and have found mixed answers when it comes to this: I'd like to dryhop an IPA I'm making this weekend in my primary but have a lot of headspace (3 gal in a 6.5 gal bucket). I'm worried about the risk of oxidation after opening up the fermenter post fermentation to add hops.

Should I skip on dry hopping until I get a smaller fermenter or getting a secondary that I can rack into that'll leave minimal headspace?

I've also heard that I can just add the hops right before fermentation stops and the end-cycle CO2 will push out the O2 that's caused by opening up the fermenter. What's the best way to judge when to add? Just wait until the gravity starts to plateau and go for it?

Or are my concerns overblown and I should just do it—add quickly and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Chances are you will not oxidize the wort when adding the hops. During fermentation, as you've stated, CO2 stays on the surface of the beer... as long as you are not stirring or splashing the hops in, you'll be fine. Cover when you are done and let the pressure build back up and start pushing the O2 back out. The surface area of the bucket is not large enough to allow O2 to be dissolved into the beer.

I typically leave my beers 2 to 3 weeks before I dry hop, opening the fermenter just long enough to take a gravity sample and add the hops before putting the lid back on and leaving it there for another week or so and then bottling. I've never gotten enough oxygen to give any of my beers the wet carboard taste of oxidation even if I leave them in the bottles for an extended time. I do lose the hop aroma if I leave them too long, like over 3 months.

I dryhop with a hop bag and open the bucket everyday to give it a light swirl.Never get any perceived oxidation

While not ideal, I would give it a go. Put the hops it as gently as possible. Definitely DO NOT do as JOHNNYROTTEN does... That is just asking for oxidized beer, he has just been lucky or he drinks the beer before it gets bad.

While not ideal, I would give it a go. Put the hops it as gently as possible. Definitely DO NOT do as JOHNNYROTTEN does... That is just asking for oxidized beer, he has just been lucky or he drinks the beer before it gets bad.
I usually kill a keg within 2 weeks or so but have gone up to a month.I thought I read a thread saying oxidation doesn't show signs till 2 months or more.Long after my beer is gone.Maybe I'm just lucky but I don't see how a gentle swirl would introduce oxidation.Im not totally convinced the "breaking the co2 barrior" is a big deal.NOT saying it isn't,just not saying it definitely is.(just my opinion)Has anyone ever tested a 1 month old bucket with a candle or lighter to see if it goes out when brought down to beer level.Im going to say no,but again nothing to back it up...Wait a sec I have a bucket that's 2 weeks old in the ferm chamber now...testing in a bit

The co2 "blanket" itself will intermix with oxygen given time. And no more co2 being produced to add to what is there. Every time that you open to stir you are allowing more oxygen exposure. I don't know how long it takes for a beer to taste oxidized, but from all the stories it doesn't seem to take months. Best practice. Open the fermenter as little as possible, disturb the beer as little as possible.

The co2 "blanket" itself will intermix with oxygen given time. And no more co2 being produced to add to what is there. Every time that you open to stir you are allowing more oxygen exposure. I don't know how long it takes for a beer to taste oxidized, but from all the stories it doesn't seem to take months. Best practice. Open the fermenter as little as possible, disturb the beer as little as possible.
Agreed.The hop bag makes me nervous I'm not getting all the oils in the beer so that's why I swirl it..and dunk it..and squeeze it..and all sorts of nasty things :D

Agreed.The hop bag makes me nervous I'm not getting all the oils in the beer so that's why I swirl it..and dunk it..and squeeze it..and all sorts of nasty things :D

I bag all my hops both in the boil and dryhopping. I have only added them without a bag if less than 2 ounces total. I have never noticed a lack of hop presence. If I want a lot I use MORE hops!!

I bag all my hops both in the boil and dryhopping. I have only added them without a bag if less than 2 ounces total. I have never noticed a lack of hop presence. If I want a lot I use MORE hops!!
Good to know,I started with a bag to reuse yeast so I have nothing to compare it to

Good to know,I started with a bag to reuse yeast so I have nothing to compare it to

But then again I don't have the discerning palate of a BJCP judge. I judge a beer with the "narrow" range of I like it or I don't. ;) Not like, "This has a tiny herbal hint that doesn't belong in this style".

Back