Dry-hopping West Coast Blaster with citra?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imationkarl

Reaction score
Recipe from BCS:

12.25lb pale ale malt
1 lb munich
1 lb crystal 60
0.5 lb crystal 120
0.5 lb victory
3 oz pale chocolate malt

1oz magnum @ 60
1oz cascade @ 10
1 oz centennial @ 10
1oz cascade @ 0
1oz centennial @ 0

og: 1.067 (i ended up a bit shy here @ 1.058)
fg: 1.015
US-05 yeast

I've brewed this a few times with extract and always really liked it. First time doing it now that i've gone all-grain. I'd like to dry hop this pretty heavily and I have a couple extra pounds of citra in the fridge. Would 3oz of citra work? or should i go with a blend of cascade/centennial?

Thanks

I tend to dry hop with hops I've used in the recipe. So, personally, I'd go with a blend of Cascade and Centennial.

That said, 3oz of Citra is going to blow any other hop flavor and aroma out of the water, similar to the shark in Jaws. You won't taste or smell anything else.

A 1/2-3/4 oz addition of Citra for the dry hop would add some great aroma and complexity, without overpowering the work you've already done. Just my $0.02 though.

Personally I never dry hop with cascade. It never seems to give much other than grass for me.

Keystone I right about Citra though. Man does it take over a beer.

I would use maybe an ounce of Citra and an ounce or two of Centennial.

I have actually made a variation of that recipe and usually dry hop it with Centennial and Columbus.

Back