Dry hopping vs adding at flameout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twofox

Reaction score
There seem to be obvious differences between the two.

I added hops at flameout, and the addition tasted great. After fermentation that flavor was gone.

So I take it that dry hopping instead will add that back to the flavor correct?

There is a difference, but I don't believe so in the way that you're thinking. Both flame out and dry hopping adds aroma, ususally not too much flavor because not much of the alpha is pulled from the hop because it's not boiling. You will get more flavor into the beer from flame out than dry hop, but what I think you're running into is a loss of flavor over time? That will happen. The moment hops are taken out of the beer, it will slowly lose some of that flavor.

For example, I made an IPA like 3 months ago. I have about 2 bottles left, opened 2 last night. The hop flavor has dwindled quite a bit since I first opened the bottle. That's why some people dry hop in their kegs as well, so that the beer maintains that hop aroma.

I am however, new to brewing as well, and I'm sure people on this site have way better input than I do. Good luck!

Yeah, have to agree that it would decline over time.

For me it added a definite aroma, but also left an aftertaste which made me want more.

I used pellets into the wort and just left them there. Standard kitchen strainer into the fermentor.

Fermentation removes some of that aroma and what I'm wondering is if I dry hop instead if I'll get that in the finished product?

I just read an article in BYO or a similar publication (not Zymurgy though) that went into great detail about the chemical differences involved in late boil additions versus dry hopping. The crux of the article was that it was preferable to dry hop but that you had to be careful as to when and how long you did it (far along enough in the fermentation and not too long in the primary/secondary). The author was a well known brew pub owner so he had cred. Really interesting article and worth a read. Montanaandy

I've switched up recipes by doing flameouts instead of dry hops and usually what happens is that the early beers from the first 5 gallon keg are great. By the time I am finishing up that keg and going to the second keg the beer has gone off balance to the bitter side and I have to dry hop to bring it back.

I just read an article in BYO or a similar publication (not Zymurgy though) that went into great detail about the chemical differences involved in late boil additions versus dry hopping. The crux of the article was that it was preferable to dry hop but that you had to be careful as to when and how long you did it (far along enough in the fermentation and not too long in the primary/secondary). The author was a well known brew pub owner so he had cred. Really interesting article and worth a read. Montanaandy

Some folks say that leaving hops in secondary too long (2 weeks) imparts a grassy aroma/flavor. Others say it doesn't. I'm wondering if it depends on the hops, amarillo vs willamette for instance.

It's starting to sound tho like dry hopping will add a more hoppy flavor, where flameout will remove some compounds and then the aroma may not come through depending on the yeast.

Gonna try the dry hopping I think this time.

Thanks for all the help!

"Post the article, please?"

Wish I could but I don't have it (read it at a local bookstore mag section). It was in one of the beer related publications but it was not Zymurgy and I don't think it was BYO but I am not certain. I just read it yesterday so if you go to Borders or Barney Nobel they probably have it. Montanaandy

Just wanted to comment on the 'don't dryhop over 2 weeks or you'll get grassy flavors' thing. I have gone over 4 weeks with dry hops in the keg, and have not noticed any grassy flavor. My experience is using cascade, centennial, and amarillo in various IPAs.

Back