Dry Hopping Utilization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoBrew

Reaction score
So, If I understand it correctly, normal hop utilization has to do with the isomerization of the hops alpha acids. Since no isomerization happens when dry hopping, is there no such concern? Would dry hopping with 0.2 oz in 1 gallon produce the same effect as 1 oz in 5 gallon?

Yup. I've used a half ounce in 5 gallons and it added some flavor and aroma. typically though you'll see 1-2 ounces for a 5 gal batch (or more for some IPA's)

Interesting to know.. I was worried about being too heavy handed this evening.

Made my first brew ever, did a extract/steeped grain DIPA. Hit everything, 8.4% ABV, the whole nine. Done fermenting, and I moved it to secondary because I wanted to move it off the cake.

Decided to bottle half of it tonight, and dry hopped the other half which turned out to be around 2.5 gallons with 1 oz of Citra. Should be great as I'm not getting a ton of aroma from the Columbus I used in the recipe, and wanted something a bit more citrusy/tropical.

Back