Dry Hopping using a bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
I am currently using a SSBT Brew Bucket. I'm on my third fermentation and have used a bag to dry hop. First time didn't have anything to weigh it down so it floated. The second time I used a SS bolt and that help but wasn't quite enough.
I have not been able to find any glass marbles big enough nor ss ball bearings. I am looking for alternatives. If I could find a SS bearing that is big enough to weigh down the bag that's what I am after.
For those using a bag, what are you using to weigh it down?

I use a couple big SS nuts(1/2in NPT threads I think), they sink the bag initial but it floats up later which I think is good enough. I am assuming the bag is mostly submerged. With all of the nucleation site on hops I think you would need a pretty good amount of weight to keep the bag down. The bag needs to be fine meshed to hold the hops in and I think that is what is also capturing CO2.

Those tubes can only accommodate around 1 oz of hops, max, the large ones maybe 2 oz.

Unless the bag or tubes are roomy enough so the expanded hop pulp doesn't compact AND you agitate the bag/tube a few times a day to refresh the beer inside, you're best of tossing hops in loose for maximum extraction. A good stir or agitation once or twice a day helps with extraction.

Needless to say, any oxygen (air) exposure should me minimized or best, avoided, after pitching yeast, and especially when dry hopping. Oxygen kills hop sensation. So plan accordingly, work under CO2.

DRYl.jpg
I use this $25 it holds plenty of pellets and it sinks - AIH

I don't use anything. I push the Pellet hops in a bag under the surface with a sanitized tool. I make sure all the hop pellets get soaked. Then it floats but 99% of the hops are in the wort. IMO, there is no need to sink it.

I haven’t used a bag for the last 5-6 beers and I’ve dry hopped up to four ounces in three gallons with no issues. I’ve been cold crashing with gelatin. I figure I get better hop utilization that way.

I throw a couple stainless fittings in a nylon bag. I steep the bag and fittings in 180F water for an hour or so to sanitize, drain it, then get to work.

Just be careful when it sinks that you don't cover up your drain port if you have one. If that's possible you may need to look into combination of weights and suspending it.

I have never had a good experience racking after free balling hops. Last time I lost 5 gallons of a 10 gallon batch because i just couldn't get the beer out due to clogs.

I use a SSBT brew bucket and basically dont want to clog the dip tube. Main reason i am using a bag.
I'll be dry hopping tonight using a couple SS bolts. Once I sanitize the bag and bolts in Starsan I'll add then purge with CO2. Hopefully that will be sufficient and not cause any oxidation.

I use 3-4 of my sons glass marbles. The larger ones. It holds my bag down without issue. I have also used a shotglass.

I use these extra SS camlock fittings.

upload_2018-11-10_16-21-11.png

I have no idea if the bag floats since its in my conical but I cant imagine it does...

I'd like to get some SS ball bearings but they are way more expensive!

I use a paint bag over the bucket rim. The soaked hops float on top and then I usually kinda swirl them around slowly with my themowell. Once they sink there in the liquid and I'm not concerned.
A bag always made me nervous I was confining the hop oil.

If you dry hop with pellets and just toss them in do they sink after about 5 days or do they stay on the surface?

Most will sink, some will float and others will kinda hang out in suspension. Cold crashing helps sink them but some defy this IMO! This is why I use the strainer bags.

FWIW, this is exactly what I do. This illustration is with leaf hops but its the same for pellet for me.

I use 3-4 of my sons glass marbles. The larger ones. It holds my bag down without issue. I have also used a shotglass.
There must be a shortage on marbles. That's what I wanted (the larger ones) but cant find any. Some on Ebay but wanted to try and find locally.
I opted for the scale weight linked above. But I'm also thinking about just getting one from Utah Biodiesel. It's kinda a pain trying to tie fishing line around the bag alone, if my wife isn't home.

Those from Amazon are chrome plated carbon steel. Not the best for submerging in your beer for days... Glass or Stainless Steel options would be much better choices.

I actually just found this site for SS ball bearings; I may order some!
Yep- Just noticed that. At this point, I'm leaning on a hop tube. Don't really want to spend $48 from Utah Biodiesel. Amazon has some that are similar. I think an 11"L tube would works as my dry hops are usually 6-8 oz. Only issue I have with those as it sees like the hop sludge would seep through the cap. Probably wouldn't be much. Just not sure of the capacity once the hops expand.

For those using the tubes from either Utah Bio or Amazon, does any of the hop matter seep through the lid? and would an 11" long tube be big enough for 6-10 oz of pellet hops?

I threw a sanitized stainless steel butter knife (they hardly seem to get used in our kitchen) in my bag to weigh it down. It worked with pelletized hops, but whole leaf hops still floated with the butter knife in there. Next time, I'd use two or three knives to weigh them down. I use a 23" x 8" bag, which should give plenty of room for hops to expand and be in contact with the beer.

I ordered some SS Ball Bearings from Amazon over three years ago. Depending on how much dry hops I use I could use one or both. This last batch I had 4oz of dry hops (cones) going in and used both. When I went to rack the keg the bag was completely soaked which leads me to believe there were no issues sinking it once all the cones soaked up some beer. I went this route b/c I didn't think the threads on the nuts and bolts would be very good if I didn't clean them well enough, too many small hard to see areas on them.

I also have the tubes as others have posted. They work well with pellets and sink nicely, but if you are using whole cone hops they do not hold very much once they expand. They work well if you want to dry hop in the keg too!

Good luck and cheers!

Back