Dry Hopping Techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langdonk1

Reaction score
I just brewed my first ever all grain and it is a Kama Citra IPA using centennial, cascade, and citra hops. I have an ounce of cascade and an ounce of citra left for dry hopping. The recipe says to dry hop in secondary after 2 weeks in primary. My question is can I put an ounce of cascade in the primary after 2 weeks and let it sit for another week before transferring to secondary and dry hopping with that ounce of citra? My goal is to create layers of hop flavor. What are your thoughts about doing this and/ or do you recommend a different route?

Most recipes you find will just throw it all in together, but there are some that stage the dry-hop also. Go with your idea of the first oz in the primary, then rack onto the 2nd in the secondary..should be a great hop profile.

Sounds fine to me. Some recipes just add the second dose of hops a week later. So that the first hops are in the fermenter for two weeks total. But some recommend racking off the first addition and then adding the second. So sounds like a good deal. :mug:

Latest posts

Back