Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmurph

Reaction score
I recently brewed a rye PA with an OG of 1.053 and expected FG of 1.014. It's been less than three days since I pitched and the gravity's at 1.014. I was planning on dry hopping when fermentation was done, but I wanted to leave it in primary for about 3 weeks after pitching until bottling.

Is it too early to dry hop?
If I did it now the hops would have about 2.5 weeks in the carboy. Is that too long?

I like to dryhop for 5-7 days before bottling, as I think it gives the best hops flavor and aroma.

You can leave it in the primary, and just gently add the hops a week before bottling. That's what I'd do!

You can leave it in the primary, and just gently add the hops a week before bottling. That's what I'd do!

Thanks for the advice. So if I wanted to have this beer ready to drink about a month from now, is it more important to condition in the carboy or in bottles? Should I make sure it stays in the primary for the full three weeks, or would it be better if I bottled before that and the beer had more time to sit in the bottle?

I would wait until the brew is at the point where it's ready for bottles, then dry hop until it has what you want for flavor/aroma.

I would also not try to push a human calendar onto the brew. It will be done when it's done...

IF it's really good (no off flavors, confirmed FG, etc.) then you can dry hop it for X days. Then bottle as you would normally, allowing it to carbonate until ready for drinking...

Since it normally takes 3+ weeks (at 70F) to carbonate, I don't see this being ready to drink in a month. Maybe 1.5-2 months from now, since you did just brew it.

Latest posts

Back