Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IloveIPA

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing and I have never dry hopped before. I am planning on using a bag with cascade hop pellets. Is there any preparation aside from boiling the bag that I need to do? Also, How long do I leave the bag in there?

Thanks

IPA

Nope, bag them and soak for 1-2 weeks. Some people like to use sanitized marbles to ensure the bag sinks. If you want more aroma after 2 weeks, replace the hops.

I'd use a bag. I didn't the last time (I couldn't get the bag with hops into the carboy opening after I racked, so I just shoved them in), and lost about 2 quarts of beer due to the extra hops material when I racked to the bottling bucket. Also, racking is tougher when you don't bag them- you get hop leaf things stuck in the racking cane. Even with a bag over my racking cane, it was harder. Much easier to bag them, and dry hop that way.

Lorena

as an ipa lover myself, my first brew was an american ipa. i left the wort in the primary for 1 week and then dry hopped for 1 week. my hops went straight in, no bag. after that second week, i racked to a 5 gallon carboy and she is still there. i am interested in the bag theory - what would be the point? is it a clarity issue?

To my mind, no, it's not a clarity issue. My IPA is clear and gorgeous. The problem I had was about 1,000,000 billion pieces of hops litter/leaves that never settled. They floated on the top, middle, and bottom. As I said, I lost about 2 quarts of beer to this- my husband called this "tag alder swamp water". (Apparently, if you're a wildlife biologist, that's funny). It was a thick viscuous fluid that couldn't be racked after a while. To my mind, it would be much easier to keep them in a bag for containment, and then rack off of the trub and bag. I'm definitely going to do that next time. I'll use two or three hop bags (my 1 1/2 ounces of hops in one bag wouldn't fit through the carboy opening and it never even occurred to me to divide it into a couple more bags) and throw them in that way. When I oak wines, that's what I do. I just wasn't thinking about that when I tossed in the hops for the beer.

Lorena

I was just getting ready to ask the same question--to bag or not to bag. I didn't bag last time I dry hopped and it was a PITA when I racked. Think I'll try the bag method this time.

what I do to make sure it's sanatized is microwave it! I know sounds weird but it works! Now I have never tried to micro a nylon bag but muslim bags work fine. Micro on meduim power for 1 minute.

idk... ive never had problems using pellets right into secondary I suppose if you use whole hops, that could soak up a lot of beer... but pellets dissolve into mush and sink nicely.

newguy said:
what I do to make sure it's sanatized is microwave it! I know sounds weird but it works! Now I have never tried to micro a nylon bag but muslim bags work fine. Micro on meduim power for 1 minute.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6293735.stm

"The researchers said people should only try to microwave damp sponges."

I assume this would also apply to mesh bags. It is the water that sanitizes, and keeps the bag from catching fire. I guess it is like a mini autoclave.

I hardly have any brewing experience but I dry hopped my first batch of IPA, if you do go for the sterilization w/ water I would only sterlize the bag that you plan on putting the hop pellets in. I only had the bag and pelets in boiling water for like 5-10 seconds and they expanded and turned to mush and made it near impossible to get down into the carboy.

I luckly did not compromise the beer when I eventually got the bag in there but I definitely exposed it to more of a chance of getting some type of nastyiness in the beer than if I just put in unsterilized pellets with a sterilized grain bag. If you wanted to do it right I would say put the pellets in the oven for a while and pour into sterilized bag, place in carboy

Hope this helps

Rodanrodanadana said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6293735.stm

"The researchers said people should only try to microwave damp sponges."

I assume this would also apply to mesh bags. It is the water that sanitizes, and keeps the bag from catching fire. I guess it is like a mini autoclave.

yeah it does have to be moist for it to work, but I've never had one catch on fire. Not yet at least :ban:

here was my newbie way of dry hopping. the recipe called for 2 oz of cascade leaves to and to dry hop for two weeks. i put one oz in a grain bag and put it in there and racked on top of it and let it sit for one week. after a week i popped the airlock pulled out the grain bag and dumped the last oz of whole leaves onto the top of the wortand let it sit for a week. im bottling and sampling tomorrow cant wait to try my first batch :mug:

I just bottled my first IPA which involved dry hopping in the secondary. I ended up putting pellets straight into the secondary. They never sank. In fact every couple of days I'd lightly rock the carbouy to simulate a transatlantic/indian ocean voyage which caused them to sink/mix then eventually settle to the top.

Bottling wasn't as messy as I had feared. When I racked into bottling bucket I missed most of the trub and hop-floaties. And most bottles looked pretty clean until my racking cane clogged for the last 3 bottles. I marked those special-like as I have a feeling they is going to be some UBER-DANK IPA goodness in those puppies! :drunk:

I just dry hopped two special bitters and tried both methods. The easier of the two, for me, was to just chuck the .75 oz of Crystal pellets into the secondary. I let it sit for a week or so in the 65F bedroom, then put it into the chest freezer outside, where it was about 45F (I think) for 4 days. When I bottled last night, it was totally clear with the hop residue nicely compacted on the bottom. I think it was the cold-conditioning that did it? Anyway, might be something you'd like to try.

monk

Back