Dry Hopping Question(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbob52

Reaction score
Yes, still brewing as time permits. I need to retire and put more time into it, I find it very enjoyable! I have converted to AG and I now have the equipment to keg.

I am having difficulty finding an answer to the following. I have Willamette hops ready to harvest. I would like to Dry Hop fresh in my secondary (primary fermentation is complete), Pale Ale. How much fresh green hops should I use and for how many days?

I think the general rule for wet hops is to use 5 times of what you would use in dry hops. So if I were dry hopping with pellets, I'd use an ounce of Williamette. But, with wet, I'd use 5 ounces instead.

I dry hopped my last batch of IPA for 5 days which turned out great. You probably won't want to dry hop for more than 7 days from what I've read here. I second the above post; just dry hop in primary. Secondary is not needed. Remember to sanitize your hop bag if you use one :)

Back