Dry hopping question & poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which technique do you use when dry hopping??

• I move the hop container around in the beer once a day.

• I move the hop container around in the beer once or twice the whole time.

• I only move the container around in the beer once right before removing it at the end.

• I drop it in and forget until I remove it at the end.

• I don't dry hop in this manner.

Results are only viewable after voting.

jbb3

Reaction score
Thought I would inquire whether folks move their hop container (hop sack, mesh ball, etc...) around when it's sitting in the beer periodically to stir up/circulate the the hops better or just throw it in and forget it??

Please vote in the poll and let's see how many use which technique the most.

I couldn't answer- like many others, I don't use a bag or other container and I don't move the carboy either. The hops absorb the beer, and permeate just fine without risking oxidation.

When I package the beer, I just rack to the keg or bottling bucket.

When I dryhop in the keg, I do use a fine mesh bag for pellet hops or a "tea ball" for leaf hops, because it would clog up my diptube if I didn't, but I don't move or agitate the beer at all.

99% of the time i dry hop in primary no bag..if i have a 2 stage dry hop schedule for a recipe i dry hop loose in primary and 2nd stage dry hops go in keg with bag and when finished i jump to new clean/sanitized keg

i couldn't answer- like many others, i don't use a bag or other container and i don't move the carboy either. The hops absorb the beer, and permeate just fine without risking oxidation.

When i package the beer, i just rack to the keg or bottling bucket.

When i dryhop in the keg, i do use a fine mesh bag for pellet hops or a "tea ball" for leaf hops, because it would clog up my diptube if i didn't, but i don't move or agitate the beer at all.

+1

I let 'em swim free, then cold-crash to get most of 'em to drop before I rack to the bottling bucket.

I do rock the carboy once a day, however – not too worried about oxygenation, as between the carboy being warmer than fermentation temp and all the nucleation sites provided by the disintegrated hop pellets, my airlock typically bubbles (very slowly) throughout the process; I figure, if enough CO2's off-gassing to blow out, it's keeping any O2 from seeping in.

I add the hops loose and don't mess with it until bottling, then I put a paint strainer bag around the auto-siphon to filter some of the sludge out when I transfer.

Same as most- drop them into the fermenter, primary or secondary, let sit for the desired time cold crash (sometimes) then bottle or keg.
I don't dry hop in the keg but if I did then I would use something to contain them.

Let cone hops float without a bag and do not agitate. Will often bag the pellets with marbles so they sink to the bottom. Do not agitate or stir.

After much statistical analysis, I see a pattern beginning to evolve... ;)

Back