Dry hopping in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be much more beneficial to sink it, since that's where the beer flows from. I wouldn't recommend dry hopping in a keg though. It could be a real messy situation, with clogging and sediment and all that. You definitely couldn't use pellet hops, even a hop ball wouldn't stop all of the sediment.
Why not look into buying/making a Randall? Just get a cartridge filter, and fill it with hops between your keg and your faucet?

I dry hop in the keg all the time, in fact that's pretty much the only place I dry hop. What I do: put my leaf hops (leaf hops only) in a 1 gal. paint strainer bag (that has been sanitized), tie up the bag (either a knot or a small zip tie) add a leader of plain dental floss, toss it in the keg & rack on top of it. I thread the floss under the lid o-ring & position it 1/4 to 1/2 way from the top. If I'm not drinking the keg fast enough to get the beer level below the bag within my time frame, I'll pull it in 10 days or so. I've had excellent results, adding huge aroma, plus some "crispness" that is hard to get otherwise.

All of these techniques were gleaned from this site.

-d

I dry hop in the keg all the time, in fact that's pretty much the only place I dry hop. What I do: put my leaf hops (leaf hops only) in a 1 gal. paint strainer bag (that has been sanitized), tie up the bag (either a knot or a small zip tie) add a leader of plain dental floss, toss it in the keg & rack on top of it. I thread the floss under the lid o-ring & position it 1/4 to 1/2 way from the top. If I'm not drinking the keg fast enough to get the beer level below the bag within my time frame, I'll pull it in 10 days or so. I've had excellent results, adding huge aroma, plus some "crispness" that is hard to get otherwise.

All of these techniques were gleaned from this site.

-d

I do the very same using pellet hops with no issues.

Hmm, maybe I spoke out of turn! In my head, that all sounds like a lot of work. Granted, maybe the Randall wouldn't allow you to soak the hops, so you may not get as much of a hop aroma, but I feel like it would be easier, and less messy. I suppose if it works for you, go with it! It's certainly be a cheaper option.
I've brewed using a paint strainer in a hop spidering pellets, but there was still a decent amount of sediment at the bottom of the kettle, that's why I doubted it with pellet dry hopping.

So neither then! I should suspend it in the middle of the keg. Any issues with sinking it to the bottom? I kinda figure that way all the beer needs to go through it.

Once the hops become saturated, the bag will sink to the level of your tether. Hoppy goodness will permeate the entire keg, no need to pull through the bag.

-d

This, I use enough dental floss to have bag hang down about 3/4 of the way. Works great. Huge hop nose.

I bought one of those metal tea balls that are for sale on northernbrewer and use pellet hops. I get great hop aroma. I love some Amarillo dry hops in my pale/amber ales!

I bought one of those metal tea balls that are for sale on northernbrewer and use pellet hops. I get great hop aroma. I love some Amarillo dry hops in my pale/amber ales!

I think those only fit about 1 oz though once the hops expand. They work great for small dry hop amounts. I dry hop usually from 6-8oz at a time which fills up about half a one gallon paint bag.

I use pellets in a standard fine mesh bag and just throw them in. no suspending or anything. works for me.:mug:

I've tried this a few ways, and the best way thus far is to suspend a tied off 1 gal paint strainer bag with Teflon pipe thread tape laid flat against the keg lid opening, and the excess looped around the keg handle. It allows the bag to suspend perfectly without causing any co2 leaks.

I've also just tossed in a paint strainer bag full of hops with a few marbles and let that drain with the keg... Worked equally well, but after 3 weeks, I like to pull the hops if I haven't killed the keg yet.

In the same vein, I received a filtration kit from Santa. How will the dry hopping be affected by filtration. My current plan is dry hop, filter, bottle.
Thoughts?

In the same vein, I received a filtration kit from Santa. How will the dry hopping be affected by filtration. My current plan is dry hop, filter, bottle.
Thoughts?

If you filter with a medium filter, there shouldn't be too much effect. If you use a fine filter, you will strip out the yeast, but potentially much of the flavor of the beer (along with polyphenols) and hops flavor.

ive dry hopped in the keg before with horrible results. clogging everything then just sticking my autosiphon in and racking off. ive recently done it again using TASTY'S method and it came out great without any clogging. dry hop in keg(68). rouse hops with co2 via beer out post(2x day). lay keg on its side at a slight angle for 20 min with the gas in side down. hook up a jumper line to another clean purged keg(gas in to beer out) and pushing co2 through the beer in of the dry hopped keg. it took a LONG time for it to trasfer(1 hour) to the new keg but there was little to no hop particles in the new keg.

Latest posts

Back