DryHop for 0 Days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldsccorpio227

Reaction score
Hi. I found a recipe where it said DryHop for 0 days. What would be the purpose of dry hopping for 0 days? It won't add any flavor or anything. Just trying to figure out if I want to leave it for a bit longer. TIA

Hi. I found a recipe where it said DryHop for 0 days. What would be the purpose of dry hopping for 0 days? It won't add any flavor or anything. Just trying to figure out if I want to leave it for a bit longer. TIA
Probably a typo.

What type of beer is it or can you share the recipe?

1706728591878.png

I would guess whoever posted that had some recipe-making program and forgot to put in how long to dry-hop for. You are correct in that there would be no point in 0 days.

Since the dates are cited, you can figure that the dry hop period is during secondary - the full 10 days, or less on the far side of it between Aug 10 and Aug 20, 2021

It's not dry hop FOR 0 days, it's dry hop AT 0 days.. and it probably means to dry hop as soon as you put it in secondary. Or it's a typo but that's my interpretation.

Not likely. It's from beersmith and in that software the dry hop window looks like this:
1706805858564.png

In Brewfather, it's a choice. The time entry can be marked as "on x day" or "for x days".

Not likely. It's from beersmith and in that software the dry hop window looks like this:
View attachment 840620

In Brewfather, it's a choice. The time entry can be marked as "on x day" or "for x days".
Yes 0.0 in that recipe is the how long time, I am using version 3.2.7 and hop for 0.0 days is the default in Beersmith. The add hops box is different for my view, not sure what version you are using or the mobile perhaps. Looks like this for me
1706820696490.png

and you can adjust the way you are referencing when the dry hop starts and the phase with the pulldown. Also, the recipe author would have the ale, two stage option set under the fermentation box located on teh Design tab. That is also a default I think and maybe that wasn't what was used. Probably some of these defaults could be set differently for when a new recipe is added. I don't always remember to change everything myself once I have the ingredients, mash and water set. I almost never get around to setting the carbonation tab for instance. Recipes can be set to public in the cloud and perhaps the OP is grabbing a recipe that way. Just be aware you might be grabbing a recipe that wasn't completely proofread.

Attachments

• 1706820585577.png
    1706820585577.png
    27 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back