Dry Hopping in the Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorRobert

Reaction score
So I'm planning an ESB, and wanted to dry hop EKG in the keg. I ordered one of those hop ball things.

My concern is that most people dry hop for 1, maybe 2 weeks. This beer is for SWMBO, so I'm going to make sure it isnt drunk too quickly, so it may stay in the keg for 4, 5+ weeks.

What's going to happen 3 weeks in? Is there going to be too much hop charactor? Will nothing happen? With the hops disolve and make the beer cloudy or grassy?

I was thinking if there was a way to hang the hop ball, or suspend it like a 1/3 down from the top so that once we drink 1/3 of the keg it wont continue to be dry hopped.

Are any of my concerns even valid?

I read somewhere that a guy hung his bag in the keg with some thin stainless steel wire and had the wire out the top of the keg. The keg still sealed just fine and when he was happy with the taste, he just opened the keg, pulled out, and sealed it right back up.

I've read on several thread of people doing this. Some use unscented floss tied to the outside, and others simply zip tie the hop bag/ball high on the dip tube so that as it is drank the hops will no longer be in the beer.

that's an idea, floss hanging in a few inches into the beer - dont even have to pull it out if it keeps a seal.

But historically, bitter has been hopped this way. So how was that done? Drank fast in pubs and a low amount?

Back