Dry hopping in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhathazy

Reaction score
I made an extract batch of Northern Brewer black IPA last week. OG was 1.072. I have not transferred to a secondary for quite some time, however I have not dry hopped in the primary yet. The recipe indicates to dry hop for five days. My main question I have is how long should I wait until I dry hop? I am thinking to wait either two weeks and two days or three weeks and two days. Is either one OK or is longer better?

Any thoughts, suggestions are appreciated.

Dave

Simply wait until the beer has reached FG and the krausen drops, toss the hops in and wait 5 days.

Once done I like to cold crash for a few days to clear the beer. Put a muslin bag over the racking cane to act as a filter when you go to transfer

Yup you dry hop after the fermentation is over. I pull the air lock setting it in a glass of starsan and then using a sheet of computer paper rolled into a funnel I pour the hops in thru the airlock hole. The lock is then replace and I wait a week. Simple process.

Thanks for the tips. I don't have the equipment to cold crash but with the weather at this point I could use my garage! Like the muslin over the cane tip, will give that a try.

Back