Dry hopping in a Mini-Brew Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Struct

Reaction score
So, I just threw my first brew into my new/used Mini-Brew 6.5 Conical, the AHS Greenbelt Pale Ale, and I had a question regarding the dry hopping segment.

I'm using pellet hops, and I wanted to see what everyone thought about the dry hopping process in the conical.

If I was using a bucket, I wouldn't be too concerned by just tossing the pellets in, but I've read that there is some debate as to whether one should just drop them in or use a hop sack to prevent clogging the dump valve.

Should one make a tea, of sorts, with the pellets to kill off some of the nasties, or will the hops' natural chemistry prevent bacteria from growing (assuming they stay in the freezer in the meantime)?

Thanks for the info, in advance!

Don't make a tea because that will add bitterness and not taste. I've used the small paint strainer bags in the past and held it with some fish line at center depth.. Worked great.. I did boil the bag and string before it went close to my fermenter, added the hops and good to go!

Back