Dry Hopping in a Growler - How much hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdgunner

Reaction score
A good friend loves hops and loves beers like a fresh Hop Slam or M43 so last year I took a stab at making him a dry hopped double IPA/ Belgian Hybrid and it turned out awesome (to him), so this year as a Thank you I tried to recreate magic and like every brew I do I tweaked some things, most notably being I couldn't get the same hops (as cones) for the dry hop so I used pellets instead, as my base I have a citrusy double IPA/belgian @81 IBU's (2 oz. Simcoe@ boil/60min yielding 70.3IBU and 2oz of Cascade @10 min yielding 10.8) and I transferred 2 gallons of it into a mini keg, carbed it and added 3/4oz of Simcoe and 3/4oz of Citra pellets into a hop bag and let it ride for 3 days before giving the keg to my friend … I guess I should have tasted it first(I did taste it before I carbed it to make sure no off flavors and it was good) but after the dry hopped pellets it has the great hops aroma but has a funky bitterness to it now that I have never experienced when using whole cones to dry hop but I know lots of people dry hop with pellets with no ill effects, did I use too much?
Long back ground story but I still have 2.5 gallons of the original batch carbed, non dry hopped, so in efforts to redeem myself I was thinking of filling a growler and I have ordered cone Citra, Simcoe and Mosaic, that said how much of the cones would you add to a tea bag to dry hop a 64oz growler ( I was thinking a 1/3oz of each)?
Thanks!

forced carbed and dry hopped for 3 days? or you force carbed it for a couple days then dry hopped it? I had a funky bitter from using some homegrown hops for dry hopping i think i sampled at 4 days and was worried the batch was bad let it ride for 3-4 more days and it was great. I'm sure the bitter will mellow out in a couple days.

I hit the keg with the diffuser stone while the hop bag was inside, seems to mix things up pretty good and quickly. You think an ounce of cones in a growler will be too much or just right?

Back