Dry Hopping During Active Fermentation - Why Not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malt_shovel

Reaction score
I have heard people recommending against dry hopping while the yeast are still actively going about their fermentation business being that the aromas will be "driven off" or "scrubbed" by this process.

What about the aroma oils already in the wort? Does the boiling process somehow protect these volatile oils from being driven off during fermentation?

Anyone know the science of what's going with the wort boiled hop oils vs those introduced during dry hopping?

Cheers
:mug:

Hop oils range greatly in weight. For a flavor add, the light- and medium-weight oils boil off. Aroma adds retain the medium-weight oils, dry hopping the lightest.

If you dry hop this way you might just need to add more hops and you'll probably be fine. I'd just try it and take notes so you can be consistent in future batches...

I have heard people recommending against dry hopping while the yeast are still actively going about their fermentation business being that the aromas will be "driven off" or "scrubbed" by this process.

What about the aroma oils already in the wort? Does the boiling process somehow protect these volatile oils from being driven off during fermentation?

Anyone know the science of what's going with the wort boiled hop oils vs those introduced during dry hopping?

Cheers
:mug:

dont know about the science, but I never get even a tenth of the aroma from flameout hops as I do from dry hops. so im not so sure that aroma oils survive the fermentation as well as we might be assuming ...

Back