Dry Hopping: Beer in Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeCreusette

Reaction score
We just started our second batch, a Belgian IPA with high alcohol. It was in the primary for two weeks, and last night we transferred it to the secondary and added in dry hops.

The SG dropped from 1.08 to 1.02, and there was no activity for a few days before we transferred it. For the dry hops, we put a marble and the hops in a mesh bag---it wasn't heavy enough so it's floating near the top. We added extra pre-boiled water to fill the 5 gal. carboy to the neck (that was recommended by the beer instructions).

Anyway---this morning, there is a lot of activity in the airlock---beer is in there and the entire thing is foaming (image attached). I'm scared about it exploding. Did we do something wrong--or is this normal? Should we have left more space in the carboy for this activity?

I don't have a blow-off tube, but if that's needed, will this beer hold up until tomorrow, when I can make it out to a store?

IMG_0835.jpg

i would remove the bag and add more sanitized weight, pour off some of the volume, put it back and recap with a sanitized lock. if adding weight is not an option then remove some wort and put the hops in by them self and just swirl the batch once a day keep the hops in solution. its not uncommon for this to happen when dry hopping specially if your using lots of hops or the fermenter is fuller than normal. the first time i dry hopped it did the same thing.

When transferring, most of the time air will be introduces to the beer, making a secondary fermentation. It will be fine, just clean the air lock and wait.

I let my dry hop sacks float like tea bags in sun tea. Works just fine. But yes,clean the airlock & re-install it.

Back