Dry hopping and secondary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoofer

Reaction score
Im currently 1 week into fermentation on my 1st big DIPA.
Its a pliny clone and the recipe says to rack the beer before dry hopping. I wouldnt have a problem with this but since I dont keg yet it means oxygenating my beer while transfering to another vessel that I cant purge the O2 from. The beer is currently sitting on 10.32oz of hops between 2 carboys. So should I rack it or just dry hop in primary on top of whats in there now? Need to decide in the next couple days. It needs to be bottle conditioned and drinkable by march 12....yikes!

dry hop it where it is now. Itll definitely be drinkable by March 12, as long as you dont screw up bottling

Agreed with mOOps. Dryhop in the primary. I too, have a Pliney in the fermenter currently and I am on the second stage of dryhops in my primary vessels. At the end of dryhopping, you can cold crash and package as normal.

Done...going to bottle on friday and it will have a unrushed 3 weeks to carb. Ready by march 12.
Will start raising the temp tomorrow and get it to 70 for a few days to wrap up before I cool and bottle.
Thx for the input!

The only time I use a secondary is for my big ass chocolate stouts, where I don't want a half pound of dark rum soaked nibs disappearing in the trub.

I dry hop for 5 days at 68°F then cold-crash to 34°F for at least two days but typically five, before packaging. afaic there is no downside to skipping a secondary in nearly all cases, while there's all kinds of peril in racking...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back