Dry hopping and cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stosh

Reaction score
I once let a beer dry hop too long and got the expected heavy grassy flavors.

I'd like to cold crash the DIPA I brewed recently to clear the beer up a little and also to keep the siphon and keg from clogging. I plan to use 3oz of hops.

If I plan to dry hop for 5 days and cold crash for 3 days do I cold crash AFTER the 5th day of dry hopping or after the 2nd day of dry hopping?

Last edited:
If you're targeting a five day DH-profile then I'd CC it after five days. You get less bang when trying to extract hop oils at colder temps.

If your in a hurry for the beer I'd crash after the 2nd day of dry hopping. Otherwise sure, wait the 5 days then cold crash. I've cold crashed after 24-48 hours of dry hopping and then finished the drop hop while cold crashing. Dry hopping just isn't as effective at cold crash temps in my experience, but it still works.

If I plan to dry hop for 5 days and cold crash for 3 days do I cold crash AFTER the 5th day of dry hopping or after the 2nd day of dry hopping?

5 days is more than enough - most of the small molecules come out of the hops within 24 hours, and 3 days is plenty.

CC after the 5th day. Once you drop to low temps, the oils come out of the hops much slower. I often dry hop in the keg, letting them sit for a week at room temp in the keg. Then I chill the keg and leave the hops till the keg is kicked.

5 days is more than enough - most of the small molecules come out of the hops within 24 hours, and 3 days is plenty.

Sorry, I know this is aged, but I'm at a kind of last minute decision tree to make, so sorry to for any urgency. Hop slurry dry hopped in primary x 30 days at 70F. Cold crash primary - with hops, cake, etc. - at 35F x 2 days (I usually only do 24 hours, but got a bit of hop pickup last time. It might just have been agitation of the keg and not allowing some time to settle). Rack tonight from primary to serving vessel.

That's at least my latest protocol (I used to use multiple vessels, which made this decision much easier. O2 pickup and couple other things, moved to only 2 vessels total). It's at 35 and as I said, hops x 72 hours at 70F then 35 x 48 hours. Any harm in letting this go another couple of nights, everything in primary at 35?

Vegetal is anathema to me. This is an American-British IPA with a ton of Cascade and Centennial all the way through DH, with Challenger for bittering at 60, Styrian (Slovenia) at 30, and 2:2:1 Cascade, Centennial, EKG in dry hop. A very Goose Island influenced beer, though I also added 3.7% C60 to my Warminster MO. (Goose uses only MO).

Thanks for any thoughts.

Back