Dry Hopped Carbonated Water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1k3

Reaction score
Hi All-
(Not sure if this goes under soda or beer.)

Anyway, I like carbonated water and I like IPAs.

Has anyone dry hopped carbonated water?

I was thinking I might like it. Or at least learn about some new hop verities that I have in the freezer.

I could do 2L bottles to start... 5 gallons might be a much.

Anyone try this?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Have you ever made hop tea? I'm the same as you and love IPAs. The issue you will find is that hops by themselves are not very pleasant.

I don't want to discourage anyone trying to think outside the box but hop tea is hard to swallow.

I've even tried sweetening the tea with malt extract and it was still terrible. I think that the yeast carry off so many if the oils during fermentation that the bitterness is always so my less than the hop can actually produce. Plus there is the whole idea of perceived bitterness which can be so much more subtle in beer. That's why you can have an IIPA and a Barley Wine can have +200 IBUs and not taste too bitter to drink.

If I were to give any guidance it would be to use whole lead preferably whole cone hops that way you can remove them once the desired flavor is reached. Hop pellets are too fine. Not even a tea strainer will remove all of them.

Good luck!

Ok, I am thinking of dry hopping cold (35-40F) for a short period of time (2 days).

I wont boil the hops to keep the bitterness down.

I'll report back with the results.

Started the test today:

A little better than 1.5 gallons of filtered water:
2014-04-22%2014.23.46.jpg

Added 0.5oz of Columbus Hops:
2014-04-22%2014.23.56.jpg

2014-04-22%2014.24.26.jpg

Looked like this in the bucket:
2014-04-22%2014.24.43.jpg

Then I swirled the bucket to break them up:
2014-04-22%2014.40.54.jpg

Tomorrow I will cold crash the bucket. Then I will fill a 2L Soda Bottle and force carb.
I should have an taste test report in 48 hours.

Have you ever made hop tea?

Nope. This is my first time.

If I were to give any guidance it would be to use whole lead preferably whole cone hops that way you can remove them once the desired flavor is reached. Hop pellets are too fine. Not even a tea strainer will remove all of them.

That is a good idea. I have Citra and Amarillo whole hops.
I was thinking Columbus would be good (kind of piney).

I have a strainer if the cold crashing does not make them drop to the bottom.

This bucket has an invert pick up tube so if the hops settle out in the cold crash I should be fine.

3.5 hours after adding the dry hops I took a taste. I reminds me of water with peppermint in it. The flavor is pretty strong.

I filled a 2L (1/2 gallon) growler to cold crash. The growler is fairly clear. The hops were at the top and bottom of the bucket but the layer that the spigot draws from was mostly clear.

I will leave the other gallon in the bucket for another day to see how intense it gets.

I plan to carbonate 1.5L from the growler tomorrow (with a stainless carbonator cap).

What PSI do you recommend? It will be about 38-40F.

I usually do 15 psi for a 5 gallon corny keg at that temp. It normally takes 5-7 day to full carbonate. That should be good for 1 falling for a day or two.

Ok, I tried it with two other guys. Not bad! Everyone drank more than one 4oz cup of it.

But I don't think this fits under soda. I think that most people that would like it would mainly find it useful for trying new hops. It tastes exactly like the sack of Columbus hops smells.

I am very happy with the .5 oz in 1.5 gallons. Next bottle will have been on the hops for 12 hours, we'll see if that is too strong.

Odd thing. The hop water was totally clear until I carbonated it. Now it is cloudy. Does that happen with soda?

hopade.JPG

Here is what I mean about the clarity before and after being carbonated:
2014-04-24%2016.48.50.jpg

I took two of these bottles to work today and two guys who don't brew (but do like beer) drank then with me.

I plan to taste my New Zealand and Australian hops next before I brew my next IPA. I want to see what I like best for dry hopping. I can even mix them in the glass to see if they work well together.

Let me know if anyone else tries this.

One more data point:

My nephew hated it. He loves IPAs but hates seltzer/soda water. So, If you don't like drinking plain carbonated water this would not be down your alley (no mater how much you like hops).

I heard in an interview once that the way one if the big breweries taste new hops is to put a whole cone in a bottle of bud lite, cap it, and let it set for a couple days cold, then taste it.

Their thinking was that bud lite has just enough malt background to support the hop flavor test. That and the fact that bud lite has very little hops to begin with, so there's not much competing flavor.

Sorry for reviving a zombie thread but I just had a bottle of commercial water from here...http://www.h2ops.com/ Fantastic!! Had one at work. Nice aroma and hop flavor with no alcohol. So of course I immediately think....I have to make my own!! Any updates on your process?

Sorry for reviving a zombie thread but I just had a bottle of commercial water from here...http://www.h2ops.com/ Fantastic!! Had one at work. Nice aroma and hop flavor with no alcohol. So of course I immediately think....I have to make my own!! Any updates on your process?

No updates. I only made it that once but glad I documented it with this thread and photos. That is what HBT is here for, right?

Latest posts

Back