Dry Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*waving hand as high as I can, I'm 5'3" and can only go so high*. I've been doing so for the last several batches of IPA, seems to work better. Read several articles regarding such and I'm convinced that adding dry hop at high krausen is the way to go. From a science standpoint, it makes sense; the yeast are still moving around, which points to adding something else that provides nucleation points would keep the hops in contact with the beer longer. If previous sentence doesn't make sense I apologize, I've been drinking.

When folks dry hop at high krausen, how long is your beer dry hopped before packaging? I've been trying to time things out to dry hop with some points of gravity left to scrub, but too often my work schedule completely throws a wrench into things and would leave me with a 6-8 day dry hop.

When folks dry hop at high krausen, how long is your beer dry hopped before packaging? I've been trying to time things out to dry hop with some points of gravity left to scrub, but too often my work schedule completely throws a wrench into things and would leave me with a 6-8 day dry hop.
I think a 6-8 dry hop is a pretty traditional amount of time.

Not any more. Recent science has shown that your whirlpool addition will biostransform so you don’t need to hop at high krausen. Dryhoping with yeast active can lead to hop burn.

That said, if it’s a small addition and you personally feel it benefits your beer, just make sure it’s hops that contain compounds that can actually biotransform.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12702246/

I don't at high krausen but do toward the end of fermentation to scrub some O2 without blowing off more aroma. I know the tasting panels are8 decisive on the benefit but the concept makes sense to me.

Back