Dry hop without exposing beer to air?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
Is there any good way to do this?

I was thinking of putting hops in a bag within a keg and then using fermentation to purge the keg of air. Then do a closed gravity transfer.

I could also dry hop in the fermenter: have hops bag in a mesh bag that is held to wall with magnets (large stir bars in mesh bag and strong rare earth magnet on outside of fermenter). Attach high up side or lid of fermenter and drop in at X days.

Any other ways of doing this?

I do basically what this guy does

Purge empty keg with sanitizer and co2

Then open lid and quickly add dry hop
(running gas in the liquid port for this stage at @ 3 psi to keep positive pressure when opening lid)

Then purge about 4 times after adding hops (I purge more cycles than what this guy does in video)

Then closed xfer with co2 from fermenter (i use plastic carboys)

Then purge headspace 4 times ((I purge more cycles than what this guy does in video)

& dunzo!

Last edited:
I remember the previous thread about this.
I think the easiest solution is dental floss thru the airlock tied to a hop bag altho anything with magnets just sounds so cool...

Yeah I’m reading that thread now. Looks like A year too late. Although i was thinking something simpler- just suspend the hop bag with magnets; inside magnet being a coated stirbar.

Back