Dry Hop while carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redhouse Brewing

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience dry hopping in keg while carbonating? Any feedback? I read somewhere this guy was going to try it dry hopping at 60 degrees while carbonating. He said he thought (based on some research) that it would keep the hops brighter. I usually dry hop first layer when SG gets to around 1.020. After fermentation and few days rest I crash cool to 35 for 3 days and transfer to keg (closed transfer) with the 2nd layer of hops in the keg. Just wondering if it would work to only dry hop in keg while carbing to save a step and a few days.

I don't know about saving anything including time, but I occasionally keg-hop with whole cones in a sanitized muslin bag, added to a cold keg but prior to forced carbonation (don't need no nucleation 'splosions, thanks ;)) and left 'til the keg kicks.

And, yes, it definitely adds a certain brightness to the hop character...

Cheers!

I have been thinking about this because I recently bought a spunding valve, and want to try fermenting under pressure. Which presents a problem as to when to add hops if you incorporate dry hopping. I have read that some people dry hop in the keg. The hops may degrade eventually, but my kegs usually don't last all that long anyways. So I don't think it will be a problem.

On this last batch, the fermentation went so quickly I didn't get a chance to transfer the beer in time. So I added them to the fermenter.

Having done it often enough I can say that introduced to a cold keg and kept cold 'til it's emptied there's no hop degradation.
I've never added to a warm keg so I don't know that the same would be true...

Cheers!

Has anyone tasted a beer, decided it needed something more, and added hops to the keg? Kinda like tasting a dish and then adding spices. I’m considering this with a beer I recently kegged. It’s minimally carbed now. I thought I might let it sit in the keg for a while, and see if I like it better. But I think some hops would help.

I think the massive oxygen exposure would void any advantage you might get from the renewed hopping.

I think the massive oxygen exposure would void any advantage you might get from the renewed hopping.

Sorry I don’t understand why you say massive oxygen exposure as I don’t expose my beer to oxygen. I do closed transfer with the dry hops already in the keg before transfer and the keg is purged of oxygen. Can you explain your theory?

I was responding to the post before mine specifically about opening up the keg again to add more hops and forgot to quote. Sorry about that.

That was my concern. Well, I'll probably leave it in the keg for a while and hope it improves. Thanks.

Back