Dry Hop Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nman13

Reaction score
I've been brewing for several years but have never followed a dry hoping schedule. Below is the schedule I have from a recipe that sounds delicious. Does this mean that I dry hop for a total of 5 days before I keg? Or do I add dry hops 5 days into primary fermentation and allow it to sit until it is time to keg. This is for a NEIPA. Any and all dryhop advice is appreciated (i.e. at what point in primary fermentation is best to dry hop, using hop bags etc.)

Dry Hop: 5 days - 1.50 oz Chinook [12.00 %]
Dry Hop: 5 days - 1.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %]
Dry Hop: 5 days - 1.50 oz Citra [12.70 %]
Dry Hop: 5 days - 1.50 oz Mosaic [12.90 %]
Dry Hop: 5 days - 1.00 oz CTZ [14.00 %]

Dry hop: 5 days usually refers to how long until you keg it. When you add them is something else. It used to be common to wait until hitting FG. Now people are dry hopping before, fermentation ends. A lot of times there is a second addition after fermentation is done.

For an NEIPA style I'd say it's 5 days into fermentation. Most other styles call for dry hopping after fermentation is finished but for this specific style it's common practice to dry hop while it's still in the "primary" stage. (After the initial fermentation is ramping down but the yeast still has work to do.)

I dry hopped my NEIPA on day 2 through 5 of fermentation. Then the 2nd dry hop was day 5 through 9. Its been in the fermenter for 3 weeks and today I will be kegging it .

I always refer to the number of days post pitching of the yeast.

I've stopped DDH for now. I've made my best beers DH during active fermentation. I am going to DH at day 0 one of these days.

Either way would be fine for a neipa, although I think the consensus in a recipe written like the OP would be to add the hops with that many days remaining before kegging. So for instance, dry hop 5 days before kegging, so the beer stays on the hops for 5 days. BUT, since the neipa revolution hit, people are leaving their beer on hops for as long as 21 days with no ill affect. So...to each his own, at this point. Personally, I would split that up and dry hop on day 2 during primary and the second charge a few days before kegging. But ask 5 guys how to make a neipa, and you'll get 5 different answers...

Back