Dry hop recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laterholmes

Reaction score
Hi all I boiled my first partial mash recipe a few days ago and was hoping to get your advice on what variety of hops to use for the dry hop once I rack it into the secondary....I love a hoppy aroma but haven't had time to smell all of the different varieties. I have 1oz of EK Goldings left over in the fridge from a previous brewing, but I'm wondering if they're too "British" for my CA rye pale ale. Here's the bill:

5.5# 2 row pale malt
.75# Rye
2.1# Light DME (added gradually throughout the boil)

.5oz Yakima Magnum 60min
.5 oz Perle 30min
1oz Amarillo 10 min
1oz Amarillo @ Flameout

CA Ale Yeast WLP001

Thanks!

5 gallons? yep, 1 oz, 7 days. i'd use cascade as it has a stronger aroma "flavor", and will cut through the dme heaviness. i know it's mostly malt, but i like cascade anyway :D

Yep, cascade or amarillo. The EKG may go ok with what you have, but I'd think it would taste kinda funny, citrusy and earthy and british all at the same time. Centennial would also work well if you have it. 1oz for that as well.

FWIW, I just brewed my first all-amarillo ale. It's great, but one of the first things that sprung to mind was this: "could definitely use some cascade"

But you can't go wrong either way.

Latest posts

Back