Dry Hop question. Type, quantity, and length?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlemagne

Reaction score
I am a big fan of Founder's Red RyePa and brewed my own RyePa a couple weeks ago. I have never dry hopped before and am looking for some advice. I have a large supply of cascade, centennial and amarillo leaf hops at my disposal. Any suggestions of what hop or combination of hops I should use? How much? How long?

Thanks

Personal preference for sure. I'd do a minimum of 1 ounce and more if you like the in your face aroma. FR uses Amarillo for the dry hop according to the website. Put an ounce in for a week and then taste it. If you feel it needs more or something else add one of the other hops or more Amarillo for another week.

Just keep in mind that leaf hops are like sponges, they soak up a decent amount of beer. However less, better beer is better than more, worse beer.

I like dry hopping with between 1 and 2 ounces of each aroma hop I used in the boil. That is how I made a decent long trail head clone and I wasn't even going for that.

+1 to the sponge comment. The IPA I'm drinking has two oz each of Amarillo and Simcoe in 5gal (a wonderful combination). I think it soaked up close to a gal of brew. Then again, the less better beer is better than more worse beer comment also gets a +1. This brew tastes and smells wonderful. ;)

An associated question: What do people think of using pellets for dry hopping? It was all I could get of the hop I want for my next brew. Upside is the reduced volume. However, I'm wondering about off flavors. Probably a controversial question.

Actually I used pellets, I have never used whole hops. There is no off flavor at least none that I could pick up, it's really quite nice.

Great, I really want to try Sorachi Ace and I can't find any whole hops. I've only used whole hops to dry hop. That is for a hoppy wheat. My Black IPA is getting 4 oz total of whole Amarillo, Cascade and Centenial. I'm thinking of putting them in a bag so I can squeeze them as I pull them out of the carboy. Might get me another half gal of brew.

Many breweries use pellets at all stages.

I'm all for dry hopping in stages. I'd say an ounce of Amarillo for a week. If that doesn't do the trick hit it with some cascades.

Pellets vs Leaf: I've used both, they both work well. Pellets seem to absorb less beer, but it's easier to siphon under leaf hops. I typically use pellet these days.

Type: Obviously you want an aroma hop. You also want an aroma hop that will play nicely with the ones you boiled with. Most people use ones they've boiled with. I'm a big fan of using more than one variety, i'll typically use 2-3 different hops to dry hop my APAs, IPAs, and IIPAs

Amount and time: For 5 gallon batches I like to use:

Blonde Ales, and Bitters: 0.5oz for 4-7days
American Pale Ales: 1-1.5oz for 5-7 days
American IPAs: 2-4oz for 7-14 days
Imperial IPAs: 3-6oz for 7-21 days

I amounts above vary on the recipe I'm making, and how much hop aroma I want. Whenever I dry hop for longer than 7 days, I'll split the dry hop into two or three additions. I like the idea of introducing fresh hops every additional week.

Back