Dry Hop Jamil's ESB???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster72

Reaction score
I just kegged Jamil's ESB. It is a very nice beer. I am not an ESB expert, but I was pretty surprised at the malt sweetness that came through with the beer and the lack of hop aroma. Especially considering the 1 oz of EKGs at flameout.

I brewed this beer for a competition, so staying within the style is very important to me.

If it weren't for competition, I wouldn't hesitate to throw in an oz of EKG to dryhop just to improve the balance a little bit.

The problem is that I can't get a good answer per style. BJCP guidelines aren't specific enough even though I know several commercial examples are dry hopped.

What do you guys think??? Am I hurting my chances in competition if I dryhop this thing? I think a little more hop aroma would balance the beer out a little better, and I tend to think Jamil goes a little too low on dryhop amounts.

Toss em in. Brewing a beer in a specific way for a competition that directly interferes with the enjoyment you will get out of it is a huge mistake.

Besides, it probably won't hurt you in competition anyway.

Back