dry hop in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
I made a Munich lager that is slightly under-hopped. Its not more bitterness that I want, it is that when I bring the glass up, I smell no hops. I have some cluster in the fridge, could I put this into the keg?

get one of those tea balls and load some hops in there...

infuser%20ball.jpg

Usually any big chain grocery store has them. I use one and they really bring some aroma to your glass.

Yes Id try Wally World first.
Guys, SWMBO got the tea ball @ Wally world today. I loaded it up and tossed it in. (sanitized of course) 4 hrs later the bland Munich Lager has been transformed into a well balanced brew with little hoppy goodness that tickles your nose. Great job guys! Thanks to all that participated!

I have bought them from homebrew suppliers for ~$4 but then I found them at walmart for ~$1.50. Haven't used it yet but should work fine according to what I have read.

what have your experiences been with one of these strainer balls in the keg using pellets? a lot of particulate matter? if so, clearing time??

kind of off subject but. (if your thinking of adding pellets to a fully carbed beer)
i have done this once and the beer was fully carbed = explosion with pellet hops
and quite allot of clearing time ... like 2+ weeks. if the beer is carbed it would probably be best to make a tea and add that instead.

kind of off subject but. (if your thinking of adding pellets to a fully carbed beer)
i have done this once and the beer was fully carbed = explosion with pellet hops
and quite allot of clearing time ... like 2+ weeks. if the beer is carbed it would probably be best to make a tea and add that instead.

Please explain "explosion". I have done this many times with zero problems.

It will take a while to clear, but there's trade offs in everything.

Weird...I had no explosion....of course I snapped the lid shut pretty quickly...

I dropped a muslin bag with 1.5 oz pellet hops into my keg on Sunday, (with a SS hose clamp to weigh it down). At the same time, I dumped in some knox gelatin, (properly rehydrated and heated).

The very next day, it was crystal clear and very nicely hopped....

I guess YMMV?

I have a Tea Boil just like the one pictured and used it the last ten minutes of the boii. When I removed it from the pot it was wide open. One ounce of Sazz's are in the wort just fermenting away. Another 10 days before I bottle.

I have a Tea Boil just like the one pictured and used it the last ten minutes of the boii. When I removed it from the pot it was wide open. One ounce of Sazz's are in the wort just fermenting away. Another 10 days before I bottle.

That's a good thing! You don't want to use a teaball in the boil. You risk under utilization of your hops.

I bought at walmart. The lady at the register commented on how much I must like tea.

QUOTE-wildwest450
{{Please explain "explosion". I have done this many times with zero problems.}}

"Beer foam Explosion"
I dropped the tea ball in the full keg ,carbed (it sank to the bottom) , and the beer foam shot up and out the top ... as i scrambled the get the lid latched it was spraying everywhere.

on the other hand it was kind of interestingly fun.

I am going to dry hop for the first time soon, and here is the procedure that I will use. Please correct me if you see any pitfalls.

1. Place hop pellets in santized tea ball tied to dental floss, tied to the keg handle, with hop pellets sitting a few inches from the bottom of the keg.

2. Rack beer to keg on top of priming sugar/water solution.

3. Top off with CO2 to seal lid.

4. After 7 days at room temp (about 73), bleed CO2 to remove lid and remove hops. Immediately place lid back on and seal lid with CO2.

That should work, right?

Eric

Potential leak where floss crosses o-ring.

I would carb first and then dry hop and leave hops in keg while dispensing unless you were going to take months to drink, then I might consider removing hops.

Back