Dry hop in Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benedetto

Reaction score
I read recently about a technique in which the dry hops are added to the primary right after high krausen. The author suggests the still active yeast "strip away" any grassy or off flavors, leaving behind only the desirable hop aroma. He said you only need it in there for three days and then rack to secondary.

Anyone else ever try this technique?

Where did you read this?

I'm far from a dry-hopping expert, but this conflicts with what I've read elsewhere. The consensus seems to be that adding to the secondary is the better choice because the high volume of C02 being released during the primary can carry off some of the volatile hop aromas.

As far as grassy flavors, I only recall seeing these mentioned as possible side effects for dry hopping for an excessively long period of time (3+ weeks).

No , ferment for five days, then add the dry hops and leave for three weeks, then rack, prime, bottle.

I dryhop in my primary all the time (I almost never use a secondary). However, I wait until fermentation is complete or almost complete, I personally wouldn't add them until after the yeast have dropped clear.

I dryhop in my primary all the time (I almost never use a secondary). However, I wait until fermentation is complete or almost complete, I personally wouldn't add them until after the yeast have dropped clear.

Or pretty darn close to it.

And three weeks of dry hopping at anything close to fermentation temperature is begging for a vegetal bomb...

Cheers!

And three weeks of dry hopping at anything close to fermentation temperature is begging for a vegetal bomb...

Cheers!

Good point, you can't package your beer until it completes fermentation, so you'd be subject to how long the yeast take to finish, which could be much longer than however long you intend to leave the beer on the hops. This is why you should wait until its done fermenting, or almost done fermenting so that you can have control over the length of time that you're dryhopping.

I read it here: http://handsonbrewing.com/brewers-reference/process/dry-hopping-the-proper-way/

The CO2 blowing off the aroma is the reason why this guys waits til the krausen has sunk back down.

Anyone try doing this? I'm curious to hear what the results were.

I followed the "consensus" for years, and never liked my results. I just figured I didn't like dry hopped beers. Then I did it the way the article you linked touts...

What a difference!

Apparently I'm doing it wrong, but I'll be doing it wrong for the rest of my brewing career, because the taste and aroma are exactly what I want/expect.

Try it. My money's on "you'll love it."

Latest posts

Back