Dry hop in bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipajay

Reaction score
Has anyone ever dry hopped in the bottle? I added 6 pellets to two 25 ounce bottles (primed) to see what happens but I was interested in what other have done. I plan on a 2 week bottle conditioning and then downing them due to off flavor fears. Thoughts?

I am not sure if that is going to work, you will have a lot of hop matter floating around in your beer as those pellets expand a lot! Also, although hops are a natural preservative and really dont harbor bacteria, they could create a little more microbiological action than intended. This leads to extra gas being created and the potential bottle bomb, i doubt this will happen but i would place those bottles in safe area covered with something.

If you don't mind a bunch of hop scum in your beer, go for it. /sarcasm

Don't do it. (And if you insist then us whole hops and still be prepared to have particles in your beer.

As to the 2 week thing you more than likely WILL have off flavors, what makes you think your beer will even be carbed by then?

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And even carbonation doesn't mean that they will not still be green and need more time to condition.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

"hop scum" Thats beer profiling my friend! :) I already did it (1 week in) but I will report back. I have to admit even if I hadnt yet I would just to see the results, I need to know for myself because one mans off flavors are anothers kick ass beer.

I'm quite sure it's not going to be pretty!

Let us know how your beer/hop salad goes down.

Some times it's OK not trying to reinvent the wheel.

Bull

Old thread I brought up a few days ago https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/dry-hopping-bottle-126473/

This is what I posted:
I'm resurrecting this thread because last night I bought a 4 pack of Lupulin Maximus from O'So brewing (tiny little brewery) in Wisconsin. I was suprised to find that each one was bottled with a hops cone.

I can't say what it did to the aroma since I don't have any non bottle hopped controls but the cone was still intact, it didn't gush, and didn't notice any vegetally flavors. I'm not sure of the release date so I contacted the company to find this out. I suspect though that these were bottled 6 months ago.

Maybe I'll try this in a few bottles of my next IPA.

I am curious about the cone vs pellet result. Right now I have a hop/yeast layer on the bottom of the bottles but one bottles has a few floaters. The other bottle is doing fine. I would think a cone would produce less of a mess though. How was the Lupulin Maximus?

2 week bottle conditioning and then downing them due to off flavor fears.

Could you explain the bolded part? I'm really confused by this statement. Unless you mean "grassy" flavors from the hops, in which case I'd say grassy flavors are the least of your worries if you're putting pellets directly in bottles.

hey, I might be wrong and it turns out bad but my thinking is more than 2 weeks may lead to grassier than I would want. 1 week may even do that but its a bit of an experiment. The beer is a quite hoppy to start (nugget 60, cent 30, cent 20, 2 z amarillo 10) and might mask any funk. We will see.

well, mixed results. One bottle was gusher like and nto enjoyable while the other was very aromatic and tasted good but not great. Hmmm, not an experiment I would run again anytime soon unless I tweaked it a bit.

I don't remember what thread I saw it in, but someone was thinking about steeping hops in their priming solution. Maybe you can try that approach next time instead.

Interesting thought, but I imagine the french hop press to make hop tea and add to bottling bucket may work a little better.

If you wanted to try the experiment again you could just use a small kitchen strainer while pouring to eliminate the hops. I imagine this would cause a lot of head though.

Latest posts

Back