Dry hop help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rednekhippiemotrcyclfreak

Reaction score
Just moved a batch of NB double IPA to the secondary to get ready for dry hopping. I scaled the recipe to 6 gallons and my usual 65% efficiency which brought the total grain bill to just under 20 pounds.
The hop schedule was
1 oz summit at 60
2 oz centennial at 30
1.25 oz cascade at 10
2 oz glacier at flameout

The OG was 1.087 and FG is 1.018. The recipe calls for 1 oz of cascade dry hop for 7 days but that seems a little panty waisted in comparison to the boil hop sked. I was thinking of adding an oz of centennial and was wondering what some of you dry hoppers might do.

Remember, dry hopping is for aroma, so you may not need as much as you think. You've got a real hoppy beer already. That said, I'd probably use 2 oz Cascade.

For a full volume 6 gallon boil / 5 gallon batch of DIPA with that OG, I would have done something like this, but that's just me:

1.5 to 2.0 oz. summit or centennial @ 60
2.0 to 2.5 oz. centennial or cascade @ 10
2.5 to 3.0 oz. any of your hops @ mid flameout
3.5 to 4.0 oz. any of your hops @ 7-14 day dry hop

The 30 minute addition is kind of useless in my eyes, but again... that's just me :)

Back