Dry Hop Diminishing Returns?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saulski

Reaction score
I just put a Pale Ale down for secondary fermentation on 1 oz of whole Cascade 7.5% AA hops to add some aroma and flavor. My question: Is it detrimental in any way for the beer to sit too long on the dry hops? I've heard that ideal dry hopping should last anywhere from 4-14 days. If for whatever reason I can't bottle the beer before the end of the second week on the whole hops, would it in any way contribute any undesirable flavor characteristics to the finished beer?

The idea is that once it extracts all the good stuff, hop aroma/flavor, then it starts extracting whatever is left- veggy flavors.

I've never dried hop with pellets, just leaf. After two weeks, in my experience, that veggy flavor starts to develop. I've heard others say up to a month, but again- my experience is two weeks tops.

There are polyphenols in hops (beyond the alpha and beta acids) that can boost the perceived bitterness if left too long as a dry hop. This is only an issue if you are already flirting with a high level of bitterness in the beer (or a lighter style). If I plan to do a long dry hop, I'll drop my 60 min. or FWH addition a tiny bit to compensate for what I will pick up while dry hopping.

1oz in my opinion is not worth it for dry hopping. Get the amount up to a min 2oz but I prefer 3oz when I dry hop my beers.

I inadvertently dry hopped an amber ale for 54 days once (a long story involving the birth of my son and him being in the ICU for 3 week) and it turned out pretty good. No veggie taste like others described, just lots of hop aroma. I don't know if I would do it again on purpose, but at least it didn't ruin the beer. In fact the extra time in the fermentor made it really clear and I have gotten lots of comments about how good it is.

Just one of my experiences.

Everyone has their own parameters and preferences - I usually dry hop with 1 ounce of leaf hops for one week (the third week after two in primary) and it lends the aroma and flavors I like. I also then strain those hops out and use them for bittering in the next batch.

I've gotten some great responses from the community, thanks guys. I think next time I will most definitely go with at least two oz of Cascade, although its too early to tell how 1 oz will affect flavor and aroma for this APA. This time around, I only had 1 oz of dry hops in the freezer, so I will definitely keep some more on hand for next time.
This leads me to a couple other questions about dry hopping...Do pellet hops work as well for dry hopping as whole hops do? It seems to me that the finished beer might have a cloudy-hoppy thing going on. Second question would be, have you guys experimented with dry-hopping in 'stages', say where you dry hop for a week, strain and then toss in another ounce or two of a different variety? Thanks for the great feedback so far!

There are polyphenols in hops (beyond the alpha and beta acids) that can boost the perceived bitterness if left too long as a dry hop. This is only an issue if you are already flirting with a high level of bitterness in the beer (or a lighter style).

I have this problem in a IPA that I recently brewed. I really didn't leave too long though. DH with 1 oz amarillo 1 oz columbus for about 10 days. Has been in the keg for a couple weeks now and has become really harsh and hazy. Boil IBU was 55. I did pull some hop material over while racking to the keg so this could be making it worse. I have heard somewhere that polyclar might help with this. Anyone have any ideas?

Could it be that your beer was harsh without the dry hops and the aroma has faded leaving you back with harsh? Happened to me and I added more dry hops for the cure!
Seems like Gelatin could help clear the haze. Never done it so can't give specifics.

The beer wasn't harsh before the dry hop. Actually it has become harsher over the last week. I am thinking that some of the junk has been falling to the bottom and I am pulling off more. I have a super aroma, I think I have too much polyphenol in the beer and it is making it harsh. This was an all extract batch that I did for quick drinking beer. 6 lbs gold LME 3.3 lbs Amber LME (midwest supplies) 1.061 55 IBU.

Back