Dry Hop - Bad Experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninoid

Reaction score
I have over thirty batches behind and have not tried dry hop before. I did before APA, but without dry hop.
This time I've tried the simplest version so on seven day of fermentation I put 15 grams of Columbus in pellets through the airlock hole, without any shaking. Seven days later, I went to the bottle. When I opened the fermentor I saw disgusting a thick white to green foam on the surface. The beer is bitter, there is no hop aroma, I lost at least a liter of beer and I could not wash the yeast because there was a total mess on the bottom. Wash of fermenter was much more difficult than usual.

This is a pretty bad experience and I have no intention of repeating it. I just hope the beer will be good for drinking. I'm afraid it will be too bitter. I know Columbus is hop for bitterness, but I've read that people also use it for dry hop. I had it in stock so I wanted to try it. A small amount to start.

What was the batch size? 15 grams isn't much for a 5 gallon batch. I just dry hopped with about 70 grams last night. You will definitely lose some volume to the hops, not sure about reusing the yeast though. Hopefully others will have some insight into that.

Batch is 5 gallon.

Would it have been better to stir slightly?

A lot of people put the hops into a small, sanitized muslin bag, weigh it down with sanitized marbles, and drop it into the fermenter. That way, the particles of hops stay in the bag, but the aroma and flavor are allowed to get into the beer. This might be worth a try.

In any case, I am willing to bet that your beer will turn out nice, regardless. Enjoy it with a big bowl of Grah! :mug:

Last edited:
A lot of people put the hops into a small, sanitized muslin bag, weight it down with sanitized marbles, and drop it into the fermenter. That way, the particles of hops stay in the bag, but the aroma and flavor are allowed to get into the beer. This might be worth a try.

In any case, I am willing to bet that your beer will turn out nice, regardless. Enjoy it with a big bowl of Grah! :mug:

My favorite meal!

1c50db24e3bd21b2845685747a2e5369_listing_l.jpg

You didn't use enough hops to get a significant benefit. I usually go 5 grams/litre for a pale ale, 10 for an IPA, 15 for a DIPA. Just dumping them in does work, although there usually is more hop material around unless you do a long cold crash. Take the lid or bung off your fermenter and dump them in.

You can also use one or two of these which will help:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32874632978.html

My favorite meal!

It looks delicious! I have not yet tried it, but it is on my list. I found out about it a couple of weeks ago, and want to give it a try.

I don't know the Croatian names (I only know the Serbian names), but I have tried Lovački Djuveč and Punjena Vešalica, many times. Both were wonderful! :mug:

It looks delicious! I have not yet tried it, but it is on my list. I found out about it a couple of weeks ago, and want to give it a try.

I don't know the Croatian names (I only know the Serbian names), but I have tried Lovački Djuveč and Punjena Vešalica, many times. Both were wonderful! :mug:

Croatian: grah
Serbian: pasulj

Today I bottled a new batch and found a similar state as this. But today batch is not a dry hoped. Then I remembered that I used Irish moss in last two batches. I have never used it before. What made the mess in the fermenter is the clusters of proteins that I did not stick to the bottom with cold crash or gelatin.

It seems I was unfairly accused of dry hop.

Today I bottled a new batch and found a similar state as this. But today batch is not a dry hoped. Then I remembered that I used Irish moss in last two batches. I have never used it before. What made the mess in the fermenter is the clusters of proteins that I did not stick to the bottom with cold crash or gelatin.

It seems I was unfairly accused of dry hop.
When using Irish moss or any other protein finings, The goal is to keep as much of the hot break and proteins out of the fermenter as possible. Leave them in the kettle. You’ll have 1/2 gallon of lost at least in the fermenter so just plan for that when building your recipe. And start dryhop hopping more. Your pale ales, pilsners, and IPAs will thank you. In my NEIPA I dryhop with 4-6 Oz which is between 112-160grams of dryhops. No mess bags either, straight into the fermenter. No messurable ibu get added and the aroma and flavor are tremendously elevated.

When using Irish moss or any other protein finings, The goal is to keep as much of the hot break and proteins out of the fermenter as possible. Leave them in the kettle. You’ll have 1/2 gallon of lost at least in the fermenter so just plan for that when building your recipe. And start dryhop hopping more. Your pale ales, pilsners, and IPAs will thank you. In my NEIPA I dryhop with 4-6 Oz which is between 112-160grams of dryhops. No mess bags either, straight into the fermenter. No messurable ibu get added and the aroma and flavor are tremendously elevated.

I did not use Irish moss before, so I did not know she was absorbing so much content. Additionally, it is obviously necessary to use gelatin to bind that content to the bottom of the fermenter. I have no conditions for cold crash, and that would be even better. Irish moss and gelatin could tie up to two liters of beer to the trub.

I did not use Irish moss before, so I did not know she was absorbing so much content. Additionally, it is obviously necessary to use gelatin to bind that content to the bottom of the fermenter. I have no conditions for cold crash, and that would be even better. Irish moss and gelatin could tie up to two liters of beer to the trub.
Look into using whirlfloc tablets. Essentially the same thing but they won’t Absorb any of your wort

Latest posts

Back