Dry hop a milk stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amd133mhz

Reaction score
Hello all!

I was wondering if I could gather some opinions about dry hopping a milk stout.

I forgot to add my aroma hops after my boil ,so it just has a 1/2 oz of bittering hops. Its already in primary bubbling away and I am thinking about leaving the beer as is,no aroma hops and just using this a comparison for the next time I create this recipe,where I will remember to add them and see if I taste a huge difference.

However a thought occurred that I might be able to go for something even more unique then No aroma hops but to dry this milk stout. I have read that dry hopping is more typical for ipa's lagers but I have not really seen a whole lot of it going on in the stout world so I was wondering:

Would You dry hop a milk stout with a 1/2 oz of aroma hops?
How would you recommend it be done?

Thank you!

Willemette Aroma hops alpha acid 6% btw:mug:
cheers!

You certainly could, but you may not like how it works out. Take a taste of your beer after a few weeks and see if you like it, and then think about how a hop aroma would affect it. If it's a nice, creamy, roasty flavor (as a milk stout should be), I think you should let it be. 1/2 oz of willamette won't do that much anyway.

Many stouts don't have an aroma and flavor hop additions. If the beer is well balanced and tastes good as is, I say to leave it alone and enjoy what you have.

Back