Dry German ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GonZolaB

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good dry yeast for German Ales?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

As far as I know there is no German dry yeast, though that doesn't mean that none exists.

I'd just use US-05 and call it good.

I would listen to the guy that said US-05 or wb-06.

What type of beer are you trying to brew?

thanks guys for the suggestions on the us-05 and wb-06

RmikeVT, I am probably going to try a Kolsch or an Altbier.
Is there a particular German ale you would recommend for these yeast strains?

Fermentis also has K-97, which is widely believed to be a dried Kolsch or Altbier strain. I've used a couple of times, and it works fairly well. More like clean Altbier than vinous Kolsch.

Thanks Catawampus, is this yeast hard to come by?

Austin Homebrew is usually where I've found it. It can be a little difficult sometimes as it can be sold in 500g blocks---I first "discovered" its existence while reading over on probrewer.com, where some pros even use it for their house yeast (more clean, than a liquid Kolsch would be, meaning its more versatile). In my experience, its closer to Wy1007 (Altbier from Zum Urige), but YMMV.

AHS used to pack their own 11-12g packets of the stuff. I've always liked the yeast...fast starter and strong fermenter.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I will check it out. Hopefully they still sell the 11 gram packets somewhere

thanks guys for the suggestions on the us-05 and wb-06

RmikeVT, I am probably going to try a Kolsch or an Altbier.
Is there a particular German ale you would recommend for these yeast strains?

I will be brewing an Altbier in 2 weeks. Will be using Wyeast 1007 but I couldn't tell you what characteristics it has beyond the Wyeast description since this will be my first time with this yeast strain. Hoping for the best.

Let me know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back